Skip to content
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Abdulmatin Sanni
  • New to Real Estate
  • Baltimore MD
Votes |
Tips for 17 year old that wants to start investing.

Abdulmatin Sanni
  • New to Real Estate
  • Baltimore MD
Posted Jan 2 2023, 18:47

Hello, I’m new to the bigger pockets forum and would like tips, book recommendations, videos, website and places that i can take in as much information as i plan to start investing after i turn 18 later this year. I am also looking to shadow a real estate investor in the Baltimore area during the summer, tips to help me find one would be greatly appreciated 

User Stats

Votes
Mark Cruse#5 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Investor
  • Fort Washington, MD
Votes |
Mark Cruse#5 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Investor
  • Fort Washington, MD
Replied Jan 2 2023, 19:31

Good Evening young Man. You are currently in the right place. Read as much as you can, check out podcasts and ask many questions. If I have a project in that area at the time you can certainly shadow me. I'm currently wrapping one up in Edgewood. Also, I'm here for any advice. In the mean time start saving up and attempt to establish which way you want to go with it. There are so many facets of it so you really need to formulate a direction and focus. I wish I had the mentality to take this step at such a young age. Best of luck!!!!

User Stats

Votes
Abdulmatin Sanni
  • New to Real Estate
  • Baltimore MD
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Baltimore MD
Replied Jan 2 2023, 19:43
Quote from @Mark Cruse:

Good Evening young Man. You are currently in the right place. Read as much as you can, check out podcasts and ask many questions. If I have a project in that area at the time you can certainly shadow me. I'm currently wrapping one up in Edgewood. Also, I'm here for any advice. In the mean time start saving up and attempt to establish which way you want to go with it. There are so many facets of it so you really need to formulate a direction and focus. I wish I had the mentality to take this step at such a young age. Best of luck!!!!

Thank you sir, i will definitely start saving up and try to pick out my exact niche and strategy. I will contact if you if i have any questions that you could possibly help me answer. Goodluck on your project!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jewel B.
  • New to Real Estate
  • Lehigh Valley, PA
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Lehigh Valley, PA
Replied Jan 2 2023, 20:27

Learn financial literacy and personal finance principles (one great book is I Will Teach You to Be Rich), educate and invest in yourself (BP has tons of great books to read, I also recommend listening to all of the Real Estate Rookie podcasts for the past year, if you have other career aspirations w/ real estate on the side, be sure to do well in school, apply to community college, and do your gen eds, or go to trade school, whatever the case may be), get a job and income (you might look into something real estate / construction related to network), open a secured credit card when you hit 18 to start building personal credit, go to local meetups / networking events for real estate, learn to analyze markets and deals, learn about creative financing and partnerships, and then, strike!

Some other great books include The 4-Hour Workweek, Atomic Habits, and Rich Dad, Poor Dad. If you're not a big physical book reader, try audiobooks or ebooks.

User Stats

Votes
Abdulmatin Sanni
  • New to Real Estate
  • Baltimore MD
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Baltimore MD
Replied Jan 2 2023, 20:35
Quote from @Jewel B.:

Learn financial literacy and personal finance principles (one great book is I Will Teach You to Be Rich), educate and invest in yourself (BP has tons of great books to read, I also recommend listening to all of the Real Estate Rookie podcasts for the past year, if you have other career aspirations w/ real estate on the side, be sure to do well in school, apply to community college, and do your gen eds, or go to trade school, whatever the case may be), get a job and income (you might look into something real estate / construction related to network), open a secured credit card when you hit 18 to start building personal credit, go to local meetups / networking events for real estate, learn to analyze markets and deals, learn about creative financing and partnerships, and then, strike!

Some other great books include The 4-Hour Workweek, Atomic Habits, and Rich Dad, Poor Dad. If you're not a big physical book reader, try audiobooks or ebooks.

Hello, Thanks for the tips and advice, i’ve been looking for a good podcast, so i really appreciate that recommendation. I will be sure to check out some of the books you’ve listed. 

User Stats

Votes
Jewel B.
  • New to Real Estate
  • Lehigh Valley, PA
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Lehigh Valley, PA
Replied Jan 2 2023, 20:36
Quote from @Abdulmatin Sanni:
Quote from @Jewel B.:

Hello, Thanks for the tips and advice, i’ve been looking for a good podcast, so i really appreciate that recommendation. I will be sure to check out some of the books you’ve listed. 

You're welcome - you got this!

User Stats

Votes
Dan Sheeks
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Denver, CO
Replied Jan 3 2023, 17:07

Hey @Abdulmatin Sanni

Bigger Pockets recently published a book that's perfect for you! It's called First to a Million. You should check it out! www.biggerpockets.com/teen. I am the author and would be happy to answer any questions or jump on a phone call if you'd like.

I'm always happy to talk to young aspiring investors. I'm also a real estate investor and high school business teacher so working with young people is what I love to do! Feel free to DM me.

Best of luck to you!

Dan Sheeks

User Stats

Votes
Abdulmatin Sanni
  • New to Real Estate
  • Baltimore MD
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Baltimore MD
Replied Jan 3 2023, 18:24
Quote from @Dan Sheeks:

Hey @Abdulmatin Sanni

Bigger Pockets recently published a book that's perfect for you! It's called First to a Million. You should check it out! www.biggerpockets.com/teen. I am the author and would be happy to answer any questions or jump on a phone call if you'd like.

I'm always happy to talk to young aspiring investors. I'm also a real estate investor and high school business teacher so working with young people is what I love to do! Feel free to DM me.

Best of luck to you!

Dan Sheeks

Hello sir, Thanks for the recommendation and I will be sure to get in contact with you if I have any questions.

User Stats

Votes
Thomas Carroll
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Baltimore, MD
Replied Jan 4 2023, 06:46

Hi Abdulmatin!

Good luck as you get started. The Millionaire Real Estate Investor by Gary Keller is a great place to start. The advice and systems in it are pretty timeless. The audiobook for this is free on Youtube. For finding people with current projects to shadow (I'd recommend offering to actively help whoever you are shadowing), you may be able to find someone of the Maryland Investors Network Facebook page or any of the other local investor pages. 

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Abdulmatin Sanni
  • New to Real Estate
  • Baltimore MD
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Baltimore MD
Replied Jan 4 2023, 17:03
Quote from @Thomas Carroll:

Hi Abdulmatin!

Good luck as you get started. The Millionaire Real Estate Investor by Gary Keller is a great place to start. The advice and systems in it are pretty timeless. The audiobook for this is free on Youtube. For finding people with current projects to shadow (I'd recommend offering to actively help whoever you are shadowing), you may be able to find someone of the Maryland Investors Network Facebook page or any of the other local investor pages. 

Thanks!

Hello sir, thanks for the advice, i’ll start to look for facebook pages i can join.