Votes |
Which is better LLC or Land Trust

Bevaughn G Grey
Pro Member
  • Homeowner
  • Jacksonville Florida
Posted Jan 4 2023, 12:10

I am new to bigger pockets.

what is the best way to protect my real estate? Should I do land trust or LLC?

Can I switch my real estate from my name to LLC or land trust?

User Stats

Votes
Fredy Sandoval
  • Investor
  • Long Island, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Long Island, NY
Replied Jan 4 2023, 12:17

It depends on your goals and circumstances. Both Limited Liability Companies (LLCs) and Land Trusts can offer certain benefits and protections for owners of assets, but they work in different ways and may be more or less suitable for different situations.

LLCs are legal entities that can be used to hold assets such as real estate, and they offer liability protection to their owners (called "members"). This means that if the LLC is sued or incurs debt, the members' personal assets are generally not at risk. LLCs also have flexible management structures and can be taxed as a partnership or a corporation, depending on the number of members and how they choose to be taxed.

Land Trusts, on the other hand, are not separate legal entities but rather a way of holding title to real estate. The owner of the property (called the "beneficiary") transfers the title to the property to a Trustee, who holds the property for the benefit of the beneficiary. The Trustee is usually a third party, such as a lawyer or a title company, and the beneficiary retains the right to sell or transfer the property. Land Trusts can offer certain privacy and asset protection benefits, as the Trustee's name rather than the beneficiary's name appears on the property title.

In summary, LLCs offer liability protection and flexible management structures, while Land Trusts offer privacy and asset protection benefits. It's important to carefully consider your goals and circumstances before deciding which option is best for you.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 4 2023, 12:17

Right now everything I have done is within my LLC, I have not done a Land Trust.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Bevaughn G Grey
Pro Member
  • Homeowner
  • Jacksonville Florida
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Homeowner
  • Jacksonville Florida
Replied Jan 4 2023, 12:25
Quote from @Fredy Sandoval:

It depends on your goals and circumstances. Both Limited Liability Companies (LLCs) and Land Trusts can offer certain benefits and protections for owners of assets, but they work in different ways and may be more or less suitable for different situations.

LLCs are legal entities that can be used to hold assets such as real estate, and they offer liability protection to their owners (called "members"). This means that if the LLC is sued or incurs debt, the members' personal assets are generally not at risk. LLCs also have flexible management structures and can be taxed as a partnership or a corporation, depending on the number of members and how they choose to be taxed.

Land Trusts, on the other hand, are not separate legal entities but rather a way of holding title to real estate. The owner of the property (called the "beneficiary") transfers the title to the property to a Trustee, who holds the property for the benefit of the beneficiary. The Trustee is usually a third party, such as a lawyer or a title company, and the beneficiary retains the right to sell or transfer the property. Land Trusts can offer certain privacy and asset protection benefits, as the Trustee's name rather than the beneficiary's name appears on the property title.

In summary, LLCs offer liability protection and flexible management structures, while Land Trusts offer privacy and asset protection benefits. It's important to carefully consider your goals and circumstances before deciding which option is best for you.

User Stats

Votes
Bevaughn G Grey
Pro Member
  • Homeowner
  • Jacksonville Florida
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Homeowner
  • Jacksonville Florida
Replied Jan 4 2023, 12:25
Quote from @Bevaughn G Grey:
Quote from @Alex Sandoval:
Thank you this was very helpful.

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Porter
  • Insurance Agent
  • all 50 states
Votes |
  • Insurance Agent
  • all 50 states
Replied Jan 4 2023, 17:05

@Bevaughn G Grey check out the blog posts here on BP https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

there is tons of information on LLC's, Land Trusts, and asset protection.