Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Robert Gorman
Votes |
Accounting and Bookkeeping Recommendations

Robert Gorman
Posted Jan 4 2023, 14:51

Just bought my first investment property.  Anybody have recommendations for a cheap accounting/bookkeeping software?  I don't think I need anything too sophisticated since I only have one property.

User Stats

Votes
Samuel Eddinger
  • Meriden, CT
Votes |
  • Meriden, CT
Replied Jan 5 2023, 05:04

Quicken has worked well for me for years.  The big thing is to add tags for the property and make sure to build out GL (General Ledgers) for everything on the Schedule E on a tax report.  That way you have all your expenses consolidated.  Quicken can automatically pull in information from your credit card and bank statements.

I'd also recommend getting another credit card and only purchase things that are deductible to the property.  That will make doing the work of identifying every tax deductible purchase much easier (especially if you don't reconcile regularly).

Other people use Quickbooks or Xero.  I don't think you need anything that sophisticated at this time.

Some people still just generate a big spreadsheet in excel and use that.  I'd highly recommend you not do that especially if you plan to buy more.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Jan 5 2023, 06:16
Quote from @Robert Gorman:

Just bought my first investment property.  Anybody have recommendations for a cheap accounting/bookkeeping software?  I don't think I need anything too sophisticated since I only have one property.

Stessa is free and I hear lots of good things about it.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Antonette El Baz
  • Accountant
Votes |
  • Accountant
Replied Jan 25 2023, 23:17

Congratulations on your first investment property! When it comes to cheap accounting and bookkeeping software, I would recommend QuickBooks Online (QBO) to you. QBO is a widely used and trusted software that is designed for small businesses like yours. It offers a range of features that cater to real estate professionals and is user-friendly and easy to navigate.

QBO has a very affordable pricing plan that starts at $20 per month, which is perfect for small businesses like yours that only have one property. It offers features such as income and expenses tracking, rental property management, and detailed financial reporting. It also has a mobile app that makes it easy for you to access your financial data on the go.

You can also try out QBO for free for 30 days before deciding to subscribe. Additionally, there are plenty of resources and tutorials available online to help you get started. QBO is a cost-effective solution to your accounting needs and would be a great tool to help you manage your financials for your one property.

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Drew Sygit#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Jan 26 2023, 10:15

@Robert Gorman Upgrade to BP Pro membership and use Rent Redi (free) for accounting and management!

User Stats

Votes
Will Fraser
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Salt Lake City & Oklahoma City
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Salt Lake City & Oklahoma City
Replied Feb 8 2023, 09:10

Stessa.  That's it and that's all.  You don't need anything else for a property, and I've found folks running a LOT of properties and using Stessa for the accounting and it's legit.

User Stats

Votes
Max Emory
Tax & Financial Services
  • Accountant
  • 100% Remote
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
  • Accountant
  • 100% Remote
Replied Feb 15 2023, 05:57

@Robert Gorman, Stessa will be perfect for your application and it's free.