Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Adam Francis
Votes |
Using Primary Home Equity

Adam Francis
Posted Jan 6 2023, 19:13

I own my home outright and was considering using the equity in my home to invest in my first property.
Good idea? It seems like that’s what most investors do with their properties but assumed there were some cons when it’s my personal home. Appreciate the help!

User Stats

Votes
Louis W.
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Oakland, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Oakland, CA
Replied Jan 6 2023, 20:30

Using the equity in your primary home to invest in a rental property can be a good way to acquire additional real estate assets. However, it's important to consider the risks as well as the potential benefits before making a decision.

One of the main risks of using home equity to invest in a rental property is that you are using your primary residence as collateral for the loan. If you are unable to make the loan payments or the value of the rental property decreases, you could potentially lose your home.

Another risk to consider is that, as a landlord, you are responsible for maintaining the property and handling any issues that may arise, such as repairs or tenant disputes. This can be time-consuming and costly.

On the other hand, using home equity to invest in a rental property can also provide a number of potential benefits. For example, it can be a relatively low-cost way to finance the purchase of a rental property, and the rental income from the property could potentially help to offset the costs of the loan. Additionally, if the value of the rental property increases, you may be able to sell it for a profit in the future.

Overall, the decision to use home equity to invest in a rental property is a personal one that depends on your financial situation and your risk tolerance. It's important to carefully weigh the potential risks and benefits before making a decision.

User Stats

Votes
Adam Francis
Votes |
Replied Jan 7 2023, 05:14
Quote from @Louis W.:

Using the equity in your primary home to invest in a rental property can be a good way to acquire additional real estate assets. However, it's important to consider the risks as well as the potential benefits before making a decision.

One of the main risks of using home equity to invest in a rental property is that you are using your primary residence as collateral for the loan. If you are unable to make the loan payments or the value of the rental property decreases, you could potentially lose your home.

Another risk to consider is that, as a landlord, you are responsible for maintaining the property and handling any issues that may arise, such as repairs or tenant disputes. This can be time-consuming and costly.

On the other hand, using home equity to invest in a rental property can also provide a number of potential benefits. For example, it can be a relatively low-cost way to finance the purchase of a rental property, and the rental income from the property could potentially help to offset the costs of the loan. Additionally, if the value of the rental property increases, you may be able to sell it for a profit in the future.

Overall, the decision to use home equity to invest in a rental property is a personal one that depends on your financial situation and your risk tolerance. It's important to carefully weigh the potential risks and benefits before making a decision.

Thanks Louis! This is great information!

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 8 2023, 13:19

Adam,

I just did this very thing in Aug 2022. I had a paid off primary residence. And I refinanced it and took max out. and purchased 2 properties, 1 single family home next door to my primary residence, and a property with potential to be a tri-plex. My goal was to be able to afford these investments with no tennants and not be stressed. As they both needed some significant repairs, i am still working on getting all properites up to par to rent. 

I think looking into an LLC in near future, may have some complications for me using the path i did. But we will see... still researching.

Good luck!