Skip to content
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Adrienne Barnhart
Votes |
Investment Mentor Needed

Posted Jan 11 2023, 04:29

Looking for someone to observe and ask questions about looking at properties, best practices for approaching a homeowner that has not put their home on the market.  I have an area I want to buy into, but homes rarely come up for sale.  Someone to bounce ideas off would be great!  We are ready to jump into the game of Real Estate Investment!

User Stats

Votes
Owen Dashner
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Omaha, NE
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Omaha, NE
Replied Jan 11 2023, 04:41

Do you attend meetups and the REIA in your area? This is going to be the best way to find someone you can learn from. I would also suggest approaching this more like you making friends than just looking to be a "taker". Think about how you can add value to someone or their business, regardless of specific knowledge of real estate. I'm sure you have experience, connections or knowledge that might be beneficial to experienced investors.

I am mentioning this because all too often experienced investors get approached by new investors asking to be mentored while offering nothing in return.  I would suggest a more informal approach - experienced investors are generally happy to share knowledge, but it can be a turnoff if the person asking is completely selfish about their intentions. 

On the other hand, you could pay someone for a more formal, structured mentorship and not feel bad about using their time. 

User Stats

Votes
Cory J Thornton
Property Manager
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Jan 12 2023, 12:40

@Adrienne Barnhart - My wife and I have been able to put together a few off market deals north of Raleigh. All single family properties and one small commercial. I don't have an intense process driven off market acquisition strategy, but I'm happy to share anything that I have learned along the way. 

If you ever have any questions, feel free to give me a shout and I will help any way that I can. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.