• Boston, MA
Votes |
Questions to ask a mentor/seasoned real estate investor

Dennis Lynch
Pro Member
  • Boston, MA
Posted Jan 11 2023, 16:56

Hello all,

I am just getting start in real estate investing in the Boston area and I am in the process of doing my research to find out which niche I want to get into first but I am also just looking for general advice on how to get started. I am meeting tomorrow with a family member who has done some real estate investing in the past. He will most likely act as a mentor to me and I was wondering what questions I should ask? 

Any advice is much appreciated!!

Thanks so much,

Dennis

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Onwuka
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Randolph, MA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Randolph, MA
Replied Jan 12 2023, 09:51

Hey Dennis, congratulations on getting started in your investing career. As you know, there are so many ways you could get into investing which could be overwhelming in itself. I would ask your mentor the type of investment he focuses on and the daily processes that makes him successful.

As far as strategies go, it depends on a few things:

How active are you willing to be? How much time do you have to dedicate to finding deals?

Do you currently have money that you could invest right now or by the time you start?

What are your skillsets

BTW you do not need money to start investing. Feel free to reach out any time if you have additional questions. 

User Stats

Votes
Steven Foster Wilson
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jan 12 2023, 10:56
Quote from @Dennis Lynch:

Hello all,

I am just getting start in real estate investing in the Boston area and I am in the process of doing my research to find out which niche I want to get into first but I am also just looking for general advice on how to get started. I am meeting tomorrow with a family member who has done some real estate investing in the past. He will most likely act as a mentor to me and I was wondering what questions I should ask? 

Any advice is much appreciated!!

Thanks so much,

Dennis

Hey Dennis, It's great that you are ready to get started. I think it is important to try to find a mentor who is doing what you want to do. Personally, I always come full of questions and ready to learn. Many are specific to the individual that I am meeting with but there are some questions that I have taken from John Maxwells book "Good Leaders Ask Great Questions."

You may want to use them too:

1. What is the greatest lesson you have learned?
- By asking this question, I seek their wisdom.

2. What are you learning now?
- This question allows me to benefit from their passion.

3. How has failure shaped your life?
- This question gives insight into their attitude.

4. Who do you know whom I should know?
- This allows me to engage with their network.

5. What have you read that I should read?
- This question directs my personal growth.

6. What have you done that I should do?
- This helps me seek new experiences.

7. How can I add value to you?
- This shows my gratitude and desire to add value to them.

These can be a great starting point for you.
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes