Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Stephanie Espinal
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
How much cash in hand should I have to start out!

Stephanie Espinal
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Orlando, FL
Posted Jan 14 2023, 06:44

Hello all:

I am starting out in this new journey, and I want to start out with a duplex.  I live in Orlando, FL.  I have a realtor working with me already.  He is sending me listings, but after doing research and analyzing the properties, the ones that promise a good return, need a fix up.  

My question here is, how much money do I really need to have in hand for the closing costs approximately to start in this journey. 

Thank you all.

Stephanie

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Grabau
  • Realtor
  • Longmont, CO
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Longmont, CO
Replied Jan 14 2023, 08:06

This depends on your renovation budget, condition of the property, and your personal financial situation. The reno budget is pretty self explanatory, I would just make sure you have a buffer. With regards to condition I would look at the age of major things like appliances, hvac, hot water heater, roof etc, so that if they are nearing an age where they begin to fail and need to be replaced, you are prepared to handle all those costs that could happen soon. If your personal financial situation is strong, such as you have a very high paying job, but have a high quality lifestyle that you could pull back $100 dinners for a few months if you needed to absorb a blow, you can have less cash and vis versa. 

User Stats

Votes
Taylor Dasch
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Temple, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Temple, TX
Replied Jan 14 2023, 08:09

Honestly I would just start and then adapt with how much you have, it is odd but if it turns out and you need more cash then you will typically find a way to get it - at least in my experience. 

Closing costs will typically be around 3-5% of the propertys sales price. It depends on the loan product as well. 

Also, if you are planning on house hacking and the property is livable, you can acquire the property and then fix it up over time. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan A.
  • New to Real Estate
  • Sunnyvale CA and Maplewood, NJ
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Sunnyvale CA and Maplewood, NJ
Replied Jan 14 2023, 09:52

You need money for the down payment, closing costs and rehab (including a buffer as @Nathan Grabau said). All of that money is going to go out of your account when you close or pay for the rehab. But at the risk of stating the obvious, you need to make sure you aren't draining your bank account to nearly zero and living paycheck to paycheck after the purchase. You need money left over afterward for your reserves and personal emergency fund too.

User Stats

Votes
Raymond J. Rodrigues
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Miami, FL
Votes |
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Miami, FL
Replied Jan 14 2023, 09:58

Hi @Stephanie Espinal, if you're buying the property as a primary residence, your closing cost can range anywhere from 2-4%. 

Helm Mortgage Corp Logo

User Stats

Votes
Shawn McCormick
  • Realtor
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Jan 14 2023, 13:11

@Stephanie Espinal I always advise my clients to budget for 3% in closing costs. This will depend on what type of loan you are getting (DSCR, investment or conventional) and if you are buying points to bring the rate down as well as how much the lender will require you to escrow for taxes and insurance.

I would suggest you get with your lender and ask those questions so you know what to budget for. Taxes have gone up quite a bit around Orlando, so if the property hasn't been assessed in awhile, expect that to jump up from what is currently showing in property appraiser's site. Since you won't be able to take advantage of the Homestead exemption, that will always make taxes higher here too. 

You may not have as much luck with buying from investors on a competitive product (duplexes), but if its been sitting awhile or needs a lot of work, negotiate some or all of your closing costs into your offer. Or have the seller pay for points  (not a rate buydown...  2/1 or 3/1) meaning have them pay for your points especially if you plan to hold the house for long term.

Hope this helps.

Best of luck

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Harden
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Puyallup, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Puyallup, WA
Replied Jan 14 2023, 16:45

If you are willing to dig a little deeper and find ways to be creative in your financing strategies, you could essentially get your first deal with zero dollars out of pocket then in 6 months or a year, refinance it, take the extra money and either put it back into your business and repeat, repeat, repeat.

User Stats

Votes
John Morgan
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Grand Prairie, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Grand Prairie, TX
Replied Jan 15 2023, 05:06

I started with 30k in my pocket 8 years ago. I’ve got 17 properties now and glad I took that leap of faith when I jumped in not knowing a thing in 2015. So I’d say 25-40k will get you on your way. Just get creative with financing along the way.

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jan 15 2023, 09:00

Depends on what kind of lending you are using, get LOI's from hard money and conventional lenders.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Jan 15 2023, 09:16

Depends on way too much. What do you plan to pay for a property, $50k or $500k? Are you looking for fixers or turn-key? What is your acceptable ROI?

We'd need waaay more info to give you any useful advice.

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Kwan
  • Lender
  • Bellevue, WA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Bellevue, WA
Replied Jan 15 2023, 10:52

You can put as low as 0% if you were a former/current veteran. I used FHA with min of 3.5% to start off which was $30k in the Seattle market. As for conventional it will require as low as 3-5% down for single family primary and 15-20% for multifamily. The tradeoff if using FHA is lower down payment even for multifamily but you cannot use fha for your 2nd loan unless you refi it out in order to reuse it, and the mortgage insurance premium (MIP) is higher than conventional (PMI) private mortgage insurance. It really depends what your current financial situation...would you rather have more liquid cash or put more down just to lower your mortgage payment.

@Carlos Valencia @Albert Bui

User Stats

Votes
Ace Kaspar
  • Investor
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Raleigh, NC
Replied Jan 15 2023, 11:09
Quote from @Stephanie Espinal:

Hello all:

I am starting out in this new journey, and I want to start out with a duplex.  I live in Orlando, FL.  I have a realtor working with me already.  He is sending me listings, but after doing research and analyzing the properties, the ones that promise a good return, need a fix up.  

My question here is, how much money do I really need to have in hand for the closing costs approximately to start in this journey. 

Thank you all.

Stephanie

Hi Stephanie,

Ill use an example below to help explain that:

This is based off buying a $100,000 property to keep it simple.

If you are buying your first home then you can get a conventional loan at 3% down (dependent that you have at least a 620 credit score and must be your primary residence)

Down payment: $100,000 x 3% = $3,000
Closing cost: Depends. Could range from 1% - 5% of the price of the home. In this example that would be $1,000 - $5,000.

On the safe side it would look like this:

Closing cost: $4,000
Down payment: $3,000

Depends on the price of the house and this is just an example but I hope this helps in some way. If you would like to talk more in depth about this just shoot me a DM and I would be more than happy to dive in details.

Hope it goes well!

User Stats

Votes
Stephanie Espinal
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Jan 15 2023, 19:09

@John Morgan Thank you! I am just looking for a number to start.  You gave it to me.  I am almost there.  I am aware that this number will change according to the property I move forward with.  But at least I know now I am on the right path.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Stephanie Espinal
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Jan 15 2023, 19:11

@Ace Kaspar You are awesome! Thank you for reminding me the math.  

I will definitely reach out to you if I need further information. 

User Stats

Votes
Stephanie Espinal
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Jan 15 2023, 19:14

@Shawn McCormick Great information! Thank you so much!

User Stats

Votes
Ace Kaspar
  • Investor
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Raleigh, NC
Replied Jan 15 2023, 19:23
Quote from @Stephanie Espinal:

@Ace Kaspar You are awesome! Thank you for reminding me the math.  

I will definitely reach out to you if I need further information. 

Sounds good to me. I am always happy to help others and I would like to hear how it goes once you get into it!

User Stats

Votes
Dave Skow
  • Lender
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Jan 16 2023, 10:09

@Stephanie Espinal- thanks -  this  will depend on  1) approx  purchase price and 2) if you are  buying it as a  primary home or as a true  100% rental ..... assuming you are buying  for it to be a  primary residence - you will need a  3.5% down payment /   closing costs +  loan fees  +  prepaids  ( these  will vary  based on the  purchase price )  .... best  to  get a  formal pre approval  process started  so you can make sure you can  qualify and also  so you can  learn the process and  also become familar with all the numbers  (  costs / payments /  cash needed for  closing ) 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Haas
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Seattle Investor: 80 Client HouseHacks & Counting! I Own: 🏠7 LTRs 🗻6 STRs, 🏘️3 DADU's
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Seattle Investor: 80 Client HouseHacks & Counting! I Own: 🏠7 LTRs 🗻6 STRs, 🏘️3 DADU's
Replied Jan 28 2023, 23:08

@Stephanie Espinal if you have a Realtor the answer is easy - ask your Realtor :). Every local market has different vacancy and labor/renovation costs, so a good local investor-realtor will be able to answer this best.

If they don't give a good answer, or don't know, find another Realtor. They're your expert!