Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Jimmy Cooper
Votes |
Becoming a real estate agent

Jimmy Cooper
Posted Jan 18 2023, 15:32

Hey gang, I am interested in pursuing a real estate license.

For all those who got their license what would you say are your top three tips for navigating this process?
What would you say is the most helpful tool in your every day agent life?
Is there a real estate program, business model or company that you would recommend starting out in?

User Stats

Votes
John Slater
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Riverside County, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Riverside County, CA
Replied Jan 18 2023, 17:22

For getting your license, sign up today... do an online course, cheapest one that gives you a PDF book.

Best tool is a lead generating tool...  I use one for pre-foreclosures

Don't sign up for expensive classes, you really don't need them.. send me a dm and I'll put you in touch with a company I did it with and many others too.  

User Stats

Votes
Billy Daniel
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Russellville, AR
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Russellville, AR
Replied Jan 18 2023, 18:58

I used The CE Shop since it's 100% online.  They also gave me my post-license course at a discount.

The RE exam really doesn't contain a lot of useful information for being successful in real estate.  The stuff about fiduciary duties and real estate law is important and useful, but the other 75% of it is pretty worthless (IMO).  My best advice is to get through the initial exam quickly and focus on the post-license material.  

Find a brokerage that provides solid training and powerful tech.  I'm partial to NextHome since we own the franchise here in our area.  They're big in CA, so make sure you include them in your search!!

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 5% down loan options. Access the BEST deals in the US in one place. Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
John Clevenger
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Jan 18 2023, 19:58

@Jimmy Cooper Completely agree with John and Billy. I would try to get through the class and take the exam as quick as possible. Personally, I didn’t take the online route as I like a class environment and regular schedule but if you’re truly internally motivated and are looking for the most efficient route, online is the way to go. As billy noted, a lot of it is memorization that you likely won’t ever reference however it’s required so the sooner you can get the exam out of the way the better.

After you’re done with the exam, key things to think of before joining a brokerage are, their training, lead generation, commission splits, and potential non-competes. As a new agent I would say the training and lead generation are likely the most critical in the short term but if you are doing diligent research try to take all into account.

Hope this helps, and good luck in your journey!

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jan 18 2023, 21:42

Cold calling and door knocking will teach you more than any course will. 

User Stats

Votes
Robert Reynolds
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jan 20 2023, 09:55
Quote from @Jimmy Cooper:

Hey gang, I am interested in pursuing a real estate license.

For all those who got their license what would you say are your top three tips for navigating this process?
What would you say is the most helpful tool in your every day agent life?
Is there a real estate program, business model or company that you would recommend starting out in?

Hi Jimmy, 

My advice is get through those online classes as quickly as possible and then take a test prep course to pass the test. 

Join a team that will give you great training and experience right away, and won't have you just sitting behind a desk cold calling people. Our team has a model that I recommend where you start out at what we call a showing assistant. You can also do your own deals, but to get experience you can show homes, do inspections and other tasks to quickly gain experience, knowledge and confidence (for you and your sphere). Hit me up if you have any questions, and I'd love to talk more. 

The David Greene Team Logo

User Stats

Votes
Holly Barrett
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Dawsonville, GA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Dawsonville, GA
Replied Jan 23 2023, 12:37

@John Slater ooh I want to hear more about the pre foreclosure tool you use please!

User Stats

Votes
Holly Barrett
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Dawsonville, GA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Dawsonville, GA
Replied Jan 23 2023, 12:41

@Jimmy Cooper

I did a self paced online course and I would not recommend that personally. It took me FOREVER. If I could go back in time I would have signed up for a zoom type class or in person.

As for the brokerages EXP and KW are good options as far as training provided. I would attend any info sessions at your local brokerage offices if you want an in person office experience, If you are super self starter, resourceful, tech savvy, entrepreneurial, or a part timer to start then EXP would be a great choice.

At the end of the day every brokerage has its pros and cons, go with the one that has a group you really vibe with and feel most supported!

User Stats

Votes
Alex Larcheveque
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Replied Feb 1 2023, 16:24

@John Slater What tool do you use for pre-foreclosures?

First Team Real Estate Logo

User Stats

Votes
John Slater
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Riverside County, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Riverside County, CA
Replied Feb 2 2023, 20:25
Quote from @Alex Larcheveque:

@John Slater What tool do you use for pre-foreclosures?

Hi. I use property radar. Best I’ve found for so cal. 

User Stats

Votes
Jared Hottle
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cedar falls IA Waterloo, IA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cedar falls IA Waterloo, IA
Replied Feb 3 2023, 05:42
  1. Study and understand the real estate laws and regulations in your state, as they vary from state to state.
  2. Get hands-on experience by working as a salesperson or an assistant to a licensed agent to gain a deeper understanding of the industry and the daily responsibilities of a real estate professional.
  3. Take practice exams to assess your knowledge and identify any areas where you need to focus your studying. Consider enrolling in a pre-licensing course to help guide your studies and prepare for the licensing exam.