Skip to content
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes

Wholesale Contract Questions

Zebediah Lessard
Posted Jan 21 2023, 15:18

I am getting into real estate investing and figure wholesale is a good way to learn, but I am confused on some aspects of the actual contract.

1. Is there only one contract that is used in the whole purchase? For instance if I where to get an offer to purchase form signed by the seller, do I then hand that same form to the investor? Or are there two separate contracts that are filled out?

2. This may be a stupid one, but do the seller and the investor ever meet in person? And if so, when does that happen throughout the process? Obviously the purchase usually requires an inspection first so I assume so. 

Now I am going to walkthrough the contract process as I understand it. Please correct me if anything is wrong or if I'm missing something. I want to have a deep understanding of the process before I get into any deals.

- Find a distressed house with a motivated seller

- Bring the seller the contract that says something like "I will buy this house under these conditions within this amount of time or the sale is cancelled"

- Find a cash buyer

- Bring a purchase agreement to the buyer and have them sign it with the terms and including a wholesale fee

- The buyer pays for an inspection and checks out the property themselves

- Everything is agreed upon and the purchase goes through

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jan 21 2023, 21:57

Two contract, one purchase contract you have with the seller and an assignment of contract with the new purchase price for the end buyer. You don't have to disclose that you are wholesaling and can go to closing without the seller ever knowing it was wholesaled. 

User Stats

Votes
Zebediah Lessard
Replied Jan 22 2023, 10:44

Thanks Eliott! I understand, but wouldn't the seller find out I am not the buyer when the buyer comes around to check out the property or does the buyer usually just send a home inspector?

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes