Votes
Patricia Souza
Pro Member
Votes |
Rental Property investing in up and coming area

Patricia Souza
Pro Member
Posted Jan 23 2023, 12:29

Hello, First post here - When looking at an up-and-coming area with many 'new builds' and expanding school districts, do you feel that buying and renting older homes is more challenging than finding a well-established area without many 'new builds'?  Thanks in advance for your help with this!  

User Stats

Votes
Jesus Roman
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Houston, TX
Replied Jan 23 2023, 13:32

More challenging in what sense? If you are referring to a leasing perspective it's important to know that everything leases out as long as you price it correctly. So it's important to understand your rental comps before you decide to invest in a particular area. 

User Stats

Votes
Patricia Souza
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jan 23 2023, 14:13
Quote from @Jesus Roman:

More challenging in what sense? If you are referring to a leasing perspective it's important to know that everything leases out as long as you price it correctly. So it's important to understand your rental comps before you decide to invest in a particular area. 

Thank you, yes.  I was referring to ensuring there are tenants regularly and if new home builds limit the need for rental properties in that area.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Rick Albert#4 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jan 31 2023, 14:14

From what I've seen, the challenge is more about the resale. As new construction home values drop, that pushes your value even lower because you need to compete.

From a rental perspective, just look at comps of older homes versus new homes and see if there is a difference. My hunch is that there isn't much of a difference in rents as long as the home looks nice and meets the needs of the tenants. 

User Stats

Votes
Patricia Souza
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jan 31 2023, 15:00
Quote from @Rick Albert:

From what I've seen, the challenge is more about the resale. As new construction home values drop, that pushes your value even lower because you need to compete.

From a rental perspective, just look at comps of older homes versus new homes and see if there is a difference. My hunch is that there isn't much of a difference in rents as long as the home looks nice and meets the needs of the tenants. 

Thank you!  This makes sense.

User Stats

Votes
Sojourner Drye
  • Wholesaler
  • NY
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • NY
Replied Jan 31 2023, 17:21

Hello! Currently I'm living in a city which is being rebuilt and revitalized. We've recently added new cafe's and much more! Although many buildings have been fixed up there are many more to be done and I'm sure will have a constant income stream! Feel free to stay connected! I'm wishing you the best! 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 31 2023, 17:35

I think the old and established area has more charm and school zone can stay the same. The new build areas, the school zone keeps changing every 5-10 years due to more kids, more people and the schools may be too crowded. So if school zone is a big factor, old and established area would be my choice.

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jan 31 2023, 21:04

Depends on that immediate market, how much supply and demand is there? Impossible to answer without looking at market data. 

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas L.
Pro Member
#3 Starting Out Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Starting Out Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Replied Feb 1 2023, 04:58

@Patricia Souza

can you clarify your question?

i think there is strong demand for high quality rentals at all price points.

with newer housing stock there is typically (but not always!) less possibility for value add.

so it's all going to come down to your strategy.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Tighe
  • Contractor
  • Greater Houston and Greater Seattle
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Greater Houston and Greater Seattle
Replied Feb 3 2023, 10:09

Hi Patricia,

I think you'd find a better deal in an older area and get a fixer-upper.  Areas in Houston like Oak Forest/Garden Oaks, Lazybrook, and Houston Heights are areas that my networks looks.  More people and businesses are moving to this area. You could get a dump, fix it up, and rent it out.  I'm not sure where you are located, but I could get you in touch with some property managers who could help you determine the rents in certain areas.  Also if you ever wanted to talk about rehabs, I'd be happy to jump on a zoom with you!

All the best!

Chris