Votes
Yash Warke
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
"Cash only" covers HELOC?

Yash Warke
  • Atlanta, GA
Posted Jan 23 2023, 14:02

Many sellers ask for "cash only" for their properties. If you have a HELOC that has enough line to cover the price, does that qualify to be a Cash only offer?

User Stats

Votes
Steven Foster Wilson
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jan 23 2023, 14:07
Quote from @Yash Warke:

Many sellers ask for "cash only" for their properties. If you have a HELOC that has enough line to cover the price, does that qualify to be a Cash only offer?

Yeah, if you already have the HELOC then yes.

User Stats

Votes
Erik Estrada
Lender
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
Replied Jan 23 2023, 14:14
Quote from @Yash Warke:

Yes you can use your HELOC. What is the goal though? Sounds risky using all of your HELOC for the purchase. Why not do a combination of both HELOC and Hard Money so you can have enough for reserves and renovations

Fuente Funding Inc.  Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Michael Dumler
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Jan 23 2023, 14:32

@Yash Warke, similar to how hard money is technically a loan but most sellers consider it as cash, I would assume a HELOC that covers the purchase price is suitable for most owners seeking "cash" offers. As others have noted, using a HELOC for the full purchase seems risky, I would run your numbers religiously before submitting offers.

User Stats

Votes
Yash Warke
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Jan 23 2023, 16:39

Goal is to buy my first rental investment property. I agree using HELOC for the entire amount to own it outright is risky, as it may leave me short on funds for renovations/rehab (is there any other tofu involved?).

What does it take to go down the hard money path? It is my first time doing this, so not familiar at all.

I might just steer clear of cash only properties and consider only deals that require a minimal downpayment with a conventional loan.

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Taylor
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jan 23 2023, 16:43

@Yash Warke HELOC funds qualify as a cash buy but if you are using HELOC funds as a down payment and a loan for the rest, lenders have seasoning requirements and/or may not allow you to use these funds to purchase. The total purchase would be considered borrowed loan (down payment plus first lien position) which greatly increases the risk to the lender.

Investor Property Loan Logo

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Jan 24 2023, 05:24
Quote from @Yash Warke:

A line of credit enables you to write a check. It's the same as paying with actual bills and coins, a money order, or a cashiers check. It is considered cash.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
John McKee
  • Investor
  • Fairfax, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Fairfax, VA
Replied Feb 8 2023, 10:59

I have bought a few properties using a good chunk of my heloc and some of my own cash on hand.  To the seller it's just cash, so they really don't need to know any details of your own internal financing.  Always come in strong and brag about your experience if you have any.  Let them know that this deal will close and close fast.