Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Brad Blank
Votes |
Refinance or HELOC for 1st Rental

Brad Blank
Posted Jan 25 2023, 03:33

I was given a property some years back as a donation.  So the property is free and clear of any debt.  Unfortunately, I was not able to use it as rental property and start my venture into real estate investing until now.  The property is in need of some TLC, such as paint, they were heavy smokers and smoked in the house, appliances, and some updating.
Trying to decide if I should do a refinance or use a HELOC to make the repairs/update to get started. With the high interest rates now, not sure which would be better. What thoughts or advise would y'all give to someone in this situation.

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hurst
Lender
#2 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Jan 25 2023, 07:48
Quote from @Brad Blank:

I was given a property some years back as a donation.  So the property is free and clear of any debt.  Unfortunately, I was not able to use it as rental property and start my venture into real estate investing until now.  The property is in need of some TLC, such as paint, they were heavy smokers and smoked in the house, appliances, and some updating.
Trying to decide if I should do a refinance or use a HELOC to make the repairs/update to get started. With the high interest rates now, not sure which would be better. What thoughts or advise would y'all give to someone in this situation.

@Brad Blank   What is the plan for the property after you fix it up?  Is it to rent for the long term or fix it up to sell?  and how much cash are you hoping to net? 

• Lender Alabama (#69841), Virginia (#MLO-35815VA), Texas (#323441), Pennsylvania (#64778), Oregon (#323441), Louisiana (#323411), Iowa (#31166), Georgia (#55988), Florida (#LO40080), and Colorado (#100506224)

Hurst Real Estate Logo

User Stats

Votes
Brad Blank
Votes |
Replied Jan 25 2023, 09:00

Jay, the plan is to rent for long term and use some of the equity, since it is paid off, to buy other properties.  For the rehab, I'm thinking it will cost between 15-20K.  May be able get down from that if I do some of it.  The property will be turned back over to me by the end of the month and will have to go in and clean some stuff out.  I plan on getting a couple of contractors to come and walk it out to give me a line item bid. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Reid Chauvin
  • Lender
  • Nashville TN - Licensed in AL AR DC FL GA LA MD TN, TX and VA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Nashville TN - Licensed in AL AR DC FL GA LA MD TN, TX and VA
Replied Jan 25 2023, 09:06

Hey @Brad Blank - always happy to see some fellow investors from BR on here! I think in your situation a cash-out refi is going to be your best bet, but can pretty easily analyze what that will look like compared to a HELOC so you can decide for yourself. Feel free to reach out if you'd like to chat further!

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hurst
Lender
  • Lender
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Jan 25 2023, 09:11
Quote from @Brad Blank:

Jay, the plan is to rent for long term and use some of the equity, since it is paid off, to buy other properties.  For the rehab, I'm thinking it will cost between 15-20K.  May be able get down from that if I do some of it.  The property will be turned back over to me by the end of the month and will have to go in and clean some stuff out.  I plan on getting a couple of contractors to come and walk it out to give me a line item bid. 

@Brad Blank A good rule of thumb is borrower short term for short term needs, long term for long term needs. A HELOC (or any line of credit) are adjustable rates based on usually prime. In other words, the rate will go up and down. and in the last year it has been nothing but up. That is not a big deal if your plan is to pay of the line in 6 months or a year, but if you are looking to make down payments on new houses with the funds that line is not likely to be paid off quickly. That exposes you to rising rates.

A long term needs a long term solution which is a fixed rate mortgage. That way you are fixed on the high end, and if rates do drop you can always refi down the road. That costs money sure but if rates stay high you are not exposed to rates. 

• Lender Alabama (#69841), Virginia (#MLO-35815VA), Texas (#323441), Pennsylvania (#64778), Oregon (#323441), Louisiana (#323411), Iowa (#31166), Georgia (#55988), Florida (#LO40080), and Colorado (#100506224)

Hurst Real Estate Logo

User Stats

Votes
Andy Rousch
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Mt. Arlington NJ
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Mt. Arlington NJ
Replied Jan 25 2023, 09:34

Was going to say what @Jay Hurst said but he beat me too it, very well put. Best of luck on your journey  @Brad Blank ! and reach out with any additional questions! 

User Stats

Votes
Stephanie P.
Pro Member
#4 Mortgage Brokers & Lenders Contributor
  • Washington, DC Mortgage Lender/Broker
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 Mortgage Brokers & Lenders Contributor
  • Washington, DC Mortgage Lender/Broker
Replied Jan 25 2023, 09:50
Quote from @Brad Blank:

I'd do a combination of loans to accomplish what you want.

Take a HELOC to get the work done. Then get long term financing and pay off the HELOC so you can use it on other properties. Getting the work done first with the HELOC will get you the best possible appraised value without a negative condition adjustment.

Refi later if the rates drop.

Hope that helps

Stephanie

User Stats

Votes
Brad Blank
Votes |
Replied Jan 25 2023, 10:11

Great advise from all. I like the idea of getting the HELOC to get the work done and then refi. Thanks to all for the advise.