Votes
Keeley Harbin
  • Rental Property Investor
Votes |
STR vs. Airbnb

Keeley Harbin
Posted Jan 25 2023, 12:39

I am starting out in the STR business. As I am assessing properties I have become curious what the pros and cons of STRs are compared to Airbnb.

I would appreciate any info one way or the other. Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Copeland
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tampa Bay/St Petersburg, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tampa Bay/St Petersburg, FL
Replied Jan 25 2023, 13:58

Airbnb is simply a platform for listing short term rentals. Everything on Airbnb is a short term rental. 

I don't understand the question.

• Broker FL (#BK3326487)

Copeland Morgan LLC Logo

User Stats

Votes
Stephanie P.
Pro Member
#4 Mortgage Brokers & Lenders Contributor
  • Washington, DC Mortgage Lender/Broker
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 Mortgage Brokers & Lenders Contributor
  • Washington, DC Mortgage Lender/Broker
Replied Jan 25 2023, 14:51
Quote from @Keeley Harbin:

I am starting out in the STR business. As I am assessing properties I have become curious what the pros and cons of STRs are compared to Airbnb.

Air BnB and VRBO and others are ways for you to market your rentals.  

The pros and cons of short term rentals vs long term rentals, to me, would be...

pros for short term rentals

More money for short term rentals, but inherently more risk.  More work because of turnover, but again, more ability to earn more money

Air BnB and VRBO are pretty good at helping you screen applicants.

cons

You'll need a property management company that knows how to deal with short term rentals.  Turnover is costly, especially if you have to do it yourself.  

One or two bad reviews and you're essentially out of business.

Pros of long term rental.  Money every month.  Less money than short term rentals, but significantly less work (unless you're doing something wrong or your property is a mess)

Hope that addresses your concern

Stephanie

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Lesley
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Fort Collins, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Fort Collins, CO
Replied Jan 25 2023, 15:00

Hey @Keeley Harbin,

also consider a MTR, with these your looking at Travel Nurses and Insurance Contracts (temp housing). I was at a meetup in Denver where Zeona McIntyre was the guest speaker and she had some really great info about how to implement that strategies and everything in between. she also has a book with bigger pockets called the 30-Day Stay if you want to learn more. hope that helps and best of luck 🤝🍀

User Stats

Votes
Tyler Warner
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jan 25 2023, 15:14
Quote from @Ryan Lesley:

Hey @Keeley Harbin,

also consider a MTR, with these your looking at Travel Nurses and Insurance Contracts (temp housing). I was at a meetup in Denver where Zeona McIntyre was the guest speaker and she had some really great info about how to implement that strategies and everything in between. she also has a book with bigger pockets called the 30-Day Stay if you want to learn more. hope that helps and best of luck 🤝🍀

It's a great book, I learned a lot from it! Now just looking for partners to work with to apply that strategy

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Drew Sygit#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Jan 25 2023, 16:34

Oh boy, do you have a lot to learn!

Keep posting questions and READ other posts and some of the books available on this site:)

User Stats

Votes
January Johnson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Emerald Coast, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Emerald Coast, FL
Replied Jan 26 2023, 13:51

"Airbnb" has become like "Kleenex" - a brand name that everyone uses to refer to a generic category (short-term rentals or tissue).

STRs are a TYPE of property use.  Airbnb and VRBO are the platforms people use to list and book them.

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jan 26 2023, 21:40

Same difference. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 26 2023, 21:54

Your question should be the following :

Is there such a thing as STR before Airbnb exists? :)

User Stats

Votes
Chad McMahan
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Sedona, AZ
Votes |
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Sedona, AZ
Replied Jan 27 2023, 06:21

And FYI- Honestly, don't feel embarrassed. SO many people here on BP continue to to misspeak and say they want to buy an airbnb- or they own one. It's 100% understandable why you would think it's an investment category.

The confusion of airbnb VS STR is somewhat comparable to the LTR VS STR VS MTR conversation (Which is actually a STR VS LTR conversation).
Realty One Group Mountain Desert Logo

User Stats

Votes
Carlos Valencia
  • Lender
Votes |
  • Lender
Replied Jan 27 2023, 11:09

Its easy to be confused with the terminology when fist starting out and learning about Real estate investing. Theres so many acronyms in this space and lingo that is easy to get some of the confused. Like some people said above STR is for Short Term Rental and Airbnb is a platform people use to list their short term rentals. I dont have a short term rental myself but depending on what area you plan to do this Short term rental you have to do your research as some cities dont allow for STR or have many restrictions. If you decide to manage it your self it can become a full time job. Hope this helps.

@Albert Bui @Matthew Kwan

Account Closed
Votes |
Replied Jul 19 2023, 18:56

Hi Keeley,

STR and Airbnb is a same concept because Airbnb do short term .

Maybe you want to ask comparison between short term and long term.