Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Cindy Joseph
Votes |
Home owners insurance for older home?

Cindy Joseph
Posted Jan 25 2023, 15:46

Hello we purchased a home in December. Initially citizens insurance approved it but then told us they were going to cancel Our policy is the roof was not repaired within 25 days. Then they said they would extend it to 45 days if go under contract. We went under contract and now they are going against their word and not honoring it. Has this ever happened to anyone before? We will likely get forced insurance from the lender. This is our first property and I feel so defeated. 

Does anyone know of any other insurance companies that insure older homes (1950s) on Brevard county FL. Citizens is the only one I could seem to find. 

User Stats

Votes
Cameron Moore
Pro Member
#3 Insurance Contributor
  • Insurance Agent
  • DFW, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Insurance Contributor
  • Insurance Agent
  • DFW, TX
Replied Jan 25 2023, 16:30

It is not uncommon for insurance companies to have strict requirements for certain types of homes, particularly older homes. It sounds like there may have been some miscommunication or confusion with the terms of your policy with Citizens Insurance.

It's important to speak with an insurance brokerto discuss your options. Some insurance companies will insure older homes, but the coverage and rates may vary. You may want to consider contacting a local independent insurance agent who can help you compare policies and coverage options from multiple insurance companies.

• Insurance Agent Missouri (#3002404805), Alabama (#3002405934), Texas (#2415793), Georgia (#3595431), and New Mexico (#19197454)

• ProCo Insurance
ProCo Insurance Logo

User Stats

Votes
Meghan Purkis
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Brevard County, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Brevard County, FL
Replied Jan 26 2023, 04:31
Quote from @Cameron Moore:

It is not uncommon for insurance companies to have strict requirements for certain types of homes, particularly older homes. It sounds like there may have been some miscommunication or confusion with the terms of your policy with Citizens Insurance.

It's important to speak with an insurance brokerto discuss your options. Some insurance companies will insure older homes, but the coverage and rates may vary. You may want to consider contacting a local independent insurance agent who can help you compare policies and coverage options from multiple insurance companies.

I agree with Cameron!

Try reaching out to and agent I know below to see if he can help you!

William Arnold

Agency Owner

We Insure : SeaSalt Insurance Group

Web www.weinsureseasalt.com

BiggerPockets logo
Meet Investor-Friendly Agents
|
BiggerPockets
Network with top investor-friendly agents who can help you find, analyze, and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Cindy Joseph
Votes |
Replied Jan 26 2023, 04:51
Quote from @Meghan Purkis:
Quote from @Cameron Moore:

I agree with Cameron!

Try reaching out to and agent I know below to see if he can help you!

William Arnold

Agency Owner

We Insure : SeaSalt Insurance Group

Web www.weinsureseasalt.com

Thank you!