Jon Cave
Pro Member
Votes |
Info on vacating existing tenant on a fix/flip

Jon Cave
Pro Member
Posted Jan 27 2023, 10:22

Hello!

Just made my first purchase. The single family home has an existing tenant renting month to month with no contract. I need to get them out asap to work on the rehab. I know I have to give 30 days notice, but can anyone enlighten me as to how to go about this process? I haven't closed yet, I am going to do inspections and all that first, but once I close I plan to immediately inform the owner that they have 30 days to vacate. Any tips or info will be appreciated. 

User Stats

Votes
Charles Carillo
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • North Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • North Palm Beach, FL
Replied Jan 27 2023, 10:42

@Jon Cave

Typically, you would send them a certified letter. In this situation, I would speak to them face to face and give them a little longer than 30 days to find a new place, maybe 60 days. I would also tell them if they could move sooner, you will give them $xxx for their moving expenses. Maybe you could also assist in finding them a new place to move to.

When I purchased my first rental property, I assisted the tenants with moving and finding a new place. Most of them found their own place but one person used the place that I found with the seller. 

You could just follow the law and send them the minimum required notice but I think people are more likely to work with you if you are flexible with them. You can still start doing exterior renovations with them living there.

User Stats

Votes
Mark Munson
Lender
  • Lender
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Jan 27 2023, 10:44

Hi @Jon Cave

If you don't want to wait 30 days, you may want to do a cash for keys option. Offer them a small amount of money to vacate sooner.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Jan 28 2023, 04:46
Quote from @Jon Cave:

I don't think Tennessee requires you to send notice by certified mail. My recommendation is to show up to the house, introduce yourself, and hand tenant the notice.

I'm not a lawyer, but my experience tells me notice does not need a bunch of legalese.

"This letter serves as 30 days Notice to Quit the property at 123 Straight Street. You are to vacate the property no later than 11:59PM on [DATE]. The home should be empty of all personal belongings and trash."

If this is a large renovation, maybe you can tell them that cleaning is not necessary. Or maybe you can offer a "reward" if they vacate early. It's up to you to be creative, but clear in your instructions.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo