• New to Real Estate
  • Orange City, IA
Votes |
Charlotte Investing Starting Out

Isaac Bartels
  • New to Real Estate
  • Orange City, IA
Posted Jan 31 2023, 07:23

I will be moving to Charlotte, NC next fall, and am hoping to get into RE investing as soon as possible. Is there anybody from there who has advice on how to get started, what might be a good method, and any tips or advice! Thanks.

User Stats

Votes
Stephanie Walker
  • Realtor
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Jan 31 2023, 08:32

Hey Isaac, I’m a local Realtor, investor and MTR Property Manager. I’d love to chat!

User Stats

Votes
Kathie Russell
  • Professional
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
  • Professional
  • Raleigh, NC
Replied Jan 31 2023, 09:58

Hi Isaac - congrats on your upcoming move! The best resource for any new investor is their local REIA. In Charlotte it's NCREIA. The in person meetings are invaluable for networking and making relationships, and there is good education as well - speakers, workshops, virtual classes etc. There are about 15 meetings per month, about half live and half on zoom. You might think about joining as an online member, and then upgrade once you get relocated. www.NCREIA.com

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Reichenbach
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jan 31 2023, 12:16

Hey Isaac, Charlotte will definitely be an expensive market so it couldn't hurt getting in touch with local lenders and seeing what you qualify for before you get here. I would also consider looking at some towns right around Charlotte with lower prices such as Concord and Kannapolis. Those could be good mid term rental areas as well with Atrium Health being really big in that area for travelling nurses 

User Stats

Votes
Jon Puente
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Jan 31 2023, 14:36

Hey Isaac,

I would advise you to select an agent who is very familiar with the area to help you navigate! @Stephanie Walker

I am a local mortgage broker here in Charlotte, NC.  I have lived here for 5 years and own 2 properties (hopefully a 3rd on the way this year).  Would love to chat regarding real estate investing.

User Stats

Votes
Stephanie Walker
  • Realtor
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Jan 31 2023, 14:38
Quote from @Jon Puente:

Hey Isaac,

I would advise you to select an agent who is very familiar with the area to help you navigate! @Stephanie Walker

I am a local mortgage broker here in Charlotte, NC.  I have lived here for 5 years and own 2 properties (hopefully a 3rd on the way this year).  Would love to chat regarding real estate investing.

Thank you, Jon!!

User Stats

Votes
Laura Shinkle
  • Realtor
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Feb 1 2023, 12:00

@Isaac Bartels I think househacking is a fantastic way to get started. It allows you to utilize owner occupied down payment options and interest rates, and then allows you to maximize your savings rate since your roommates/tenants are ideally paying most of if not all of your mortgage for you. You get a little experience owning and maintaining a property. After a year, you can rinse and repeat. Put long term tenants in the first property (or mid/STR renters), buy a new home for yourself utilizing lower dp and interest rates, keep it going! It isn't something you'll probably want to do forever (eventually everyone wants their own space usually) but its great to get things rolling for minimal cash.

User Stats

Votes
Kai Kopsch
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Feb 2 2023, 08:51

@Isaac Bartels Charlotte is a great area to do RE Investing; Zillow predicts that Charlotte will be the hottest real estate market of 2023. Since January 1, I have seen a lot more buyer activity. Most important is doing your homework about CLT areas and learning about the local market updates in the Charlotte metropolitan area. Send me a PM if you like to get market updates.  

Kai Kopsch Realty One Group Select Logo

User Stats

Votes
Alexander Chea
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Fairfax, VA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Fairfax, VA
Replied Feb 13 2023, 18:38

@Stephanie McFarlane

Hey Stephanie, I'm new to the REI space. Looking for a property to buy and hold, BRRRR strategy in the Charlotte, NC area. Let me know if you can help me out. Thanks appreciate your time. Also I'm from VA.