Votes
Dan Huntzinger
  • Spokane, WA
Votes |
New owner and looking to learn

Dan Huntzinger
  • Spokane, WA
Posted Feb 1 2023, 17:22

I recently took the dive and purchased a duplex. I am trying to learn as I go and hoping the community here can help. Is anyone else here a landlord in Washington state? I know some of our rules are slightly different. I have a tenant that I inherited and her lease expires in the end of May. I know I have to give a 60 day notice of her rent change when she moves month to month. To my understanding that can be verbal and Washington state has no law that maxes rent increase. She had a very low rent due to knowing the seller and I am not changing it massively. She is aware that it will be going up, just not the set amount yet as I haven't decided. My question is, would it behoove me to do a written addendum instead to cover myself? I know Washington state tends to cater to tenants.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Feb 2 2023, 05:01
Quote from @Dan Huntzinger:

You should always make changes in writing to avoid misunderstandings or disagreements. And it helps if you ever end up in court. Put it in writing, have the tenant sign it, you both get a copy.

Do yourself a favor: buy "Every Landlord's Legal Guide" by NOLO. Written by attorney investors, it's full of practical advice pertaining to management of investment property, has sample forms that can be edited, and - most importantly - they tell you what your primary state laws are and where you can read them. It's updated every year and is the best $40 you'll spend as a Landlord. There is one book for 49 states and a separate book for California.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Dennis Nguyen
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Feb 2 2023, 10:51

Definitely put things in writing. However, I would not do it myself if I don't have experience. You can hire an attorney to draft the addendum or a lease for you to cover your bases. There are also rental form resources you can find on BP that is state specific as well you can check out! 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Dan Huntzinger
  • Spokane, WA
Votes |
  • Spokane, WA
Replied Feb 2 2023, 14:11
Quote from @Nathan Gesner:
Quote from @Dan Huntzinger:
You should always make changes in writing to avoid misunderstandings or disagreements. And it helps if you ever end up in court. Put it in writing, have the tenant sign it, you both get a copy.
Do yourself a favor: buy "Every Landlord's Legal Guide" by NOLO. Written by attorney investors, it's full of practical advice pertaining to management of investment property, has sample forms that can be edited, and - most importantly - they tell you what your primary state laws are and where you can read them. It's updated every year and is the best $40 you'll spend as a Landlord. There is one book for 49 states and a separate book for California.
I had heard of a book but didn't know what it was. I was wondering if an in writing was a good cover yourself option. Thank you for the info and the confirmation.