Skip to content
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes

Finding areas to investigate for new Long Distance Investor

Michael Kuznetz
Posted Feb 4 2023, 13:34
Hi all and thanks in advance for your feedback.  
What advice would you give a new investor looking to find out of state opportunities? 
How would you go about narrowing down the country if your plan was to find a property and get it rental ready for under 130k, no loans, with the intention of a minimum of 9% COC return?  With no local connections in any possible markets, is it a matter of hopping around the country on Zillow and comparing home prices and rents or are there ways to streamline the process?

Thanks!!

User Stats

Votes
Kerry Noble Jr
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Feb 6 2023, 07:43

build those connections locally! it is a must for your success. with those numbers itll definitely be the midwest

User Stats

Votes
Chris Davidson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Boise, ID
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Boise, ID
Replied Feb 6 2023, 08:06

@Michael Kuznetz I would review your numbers and also dig deep for what your real goals are. Do you care more about a CoC return or not getting a loan. If you limit the Cash into the deal, you can increase your cash on cash return.

But like you need a team where you are investing. You can find the best deal out there and ruin it with a sloppy team, or you can find a ok deal with a rock star team and turn it into a great deal.

Best of luck and feel free to reach out if you want to talk about what is needed in a team.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jared Trindade
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Fayetteville, NC
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Fayetteville, NC
Replied Feb 6 2023, 08:27
Quote from @Michael Kuznetz:
Hi all and thanks in advance for your feedback.  
What advice would you give a new investor looking to find out of state opportunities? 
How would you go about narrowing down the country if your plan was to find a property and get it rental ready for under 130k, no loans, with the intention of a minimum of 9% COC return?  With no local connections in any possible markets, is it a matter of hopping around the country on Zillow and comparing home prices and rents or are there ways to streamline the process?

Thanks!!

I would do some independent research on individual market areas that may meet the criteria of what you are looking to achieve. Once you have identified the potential market that may give you said return, then find people to build a team with and proceed with investing once you are 100% prepared to do so. 

Check out market data posts on places, for example I have done many on NC, and Fayetteville NC may fit your bill check out my post and see if there's any value there for you. https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

Ping ideas from BP people and then check out some of those markets. From there, network and build. 

If you'd ever like to connect and chat more about NC, let me know if I can be of service to you. 

Best of luck to you,

Cheers!

User Stats

Votes
Kathie Russell
  • Professional
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
  • Professional
  • Raleigh, NC
Replied Feb 6 2023, 09:27
Quote from @Kerry Noble Jr:

build those connections locally! it is a must for your success. with those numbers itll definitely be the midwest

Building relationships is the absolute most important thing!  Join the REIA in the area where you are considering investing.  It will provide all kinds of connections that you will need, and leads that will be invaluable.

User Stats

Votes
Travis Biziorek#4 Market Trends & Data Contributor
  • Investor
  • Arroyo Grande, CA
Votes |
Travis Biziorek#4 Market Trends & Data Contributor
  • Investor
  • Arroyo Grande, CA
Replied Feb 6 2023, 11:34

Your budget is going to largely dictate markets you can play in. With $130k you're likely looking at the Midwest.

I tend to favor Detroit because I now have 12-doors there, a super strong network, and a good friend that runs a turnkey operation on the ground there. You can't beat the cashflow in Detroit. And if you position yourself smartly, you can capture appreciation there as well as the city is going through a bit of a renaissance that most don't seem to understand and/or believe quite yet.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Kuznetz
Replied Feb 6 2023, 13:41
Quote from @Chris Davidson:

@Michael Kuznetz I would review your numbers and also dig deep for what your real goals are. Do you care more about a CoC return or not getting a loan. If you limit the Cash into the deal, you can increase your cash on cash return.

But like you need a team where you are investing. You can find the best deal out there and ruin it with a sloppy team, or you can find a ok deal with a rock star team and turn it into a great deal.

Best of luck and feel free to reach out if you want to talk about what is needed in a team.

Thanks Chris,
I definitely appreciate the feedback and have thought about the possibilities of going loan/no loan and how it affects the deals.  I'm hesitant to get into a loan at the moment with rates being where they are but hopefully things will come down a bit and make the numbers work better.  Finding the team is going to be a crucial step, and I'll definitely shoot you a message to get your thoughts!  Thanks!!

User Stats

Votes
Michael Kuznetz
Replied Feb 6 2023, 13:44
Quote from @Travis Biziorek:

Your budget is going to largely dictate markets you can play in. With $130k you're likely looking at the Midwest.

I tend to favor Detroit because I now have 12-doors there, a super strong network, and a good friend that runs a turnkey operation on the ground there. You can't beat the cashflow in Detroit. And if you position yourself smartly, you can capture appreciation there as well as the city is going through a bit of a renaissance that most don't seem to understand and/or believe quite yet.

Hi Travis,
I am a U of M grad from 98 and remember getting lost in Detroit one night.  It was an interesting experience!  I'd be curious to hear about your operation and experiences.  Will send you a message.  Thanks

User Stats

Votes
Jewel B.
  • New to Real Estate
  • Lehigh Valley, PA
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Lehigh Valley, PA
Replied Feb 6 2023, 14:20
Quote from @Michael Kuznetz:
Quote from @Chris Davidson:

Thanks Chris,
I definitely appreciate the feedback and have thought about the possibilities of going loan/no loan and how it affects the deals.  I'm hesitant to get into a loan at the moment with rates being where they are but hopefully things will come down a bit and make the numbers work better.  Finding the team is going to be a crucial step, and I'll definitely shoot you a message to get your thoughts!  Thanks!!

As long as the numbers still work, don't overthink the rate. We got spoiled off low rates, but as far as historical averages go, these rates are pretty fair. I'd rather buy more than one property now and refinance later if rates go down then only buy 1 and sit around waiting for rates to maybe go down to who knows what %. And then of course the market will be more competitive at that point. There's no perfect time. Leverage can be a powerful tool.

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Drew Sygit#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Feb 7 2023, 03:53

@Michael Kuznetz

You might want to follow the "Deep Dive" series we're doing on our BiggerPockets blog about Metro Detroit cities, City of Detroit Neighborhoods and comparing Metro Detroit to other hotspots investors usually consider:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/...
(BP search feature can be problematic, so we’ve also added links @ our website under View Cities & Neighborhoods We Service)

Doubt you'll find this much info for any other market in the country. So, why would you invest remotely anywhere else?

Please send us any feedback via email, as we do not use the DM feature here.
Also, if you like our response, please don’t be shy about giving us a vote😊

User Stats

Votes
Jared Hottle
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cedar falls IA Waterloo, IA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cedar falls IA Waterloo, IA
Replied Feb 7 2023, 04:30

I would say there are alot of Midwest areas that could pull these numbers for you. Certainly look into Iowa. I would be able to help you.

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Feb 7 2023, 06:21

Stop looking out of state and stay within your back yard. There are deals to be found in any market, unless you have a BA team waiting to plug and play it's going to be a headache. 

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Crunkilton
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Oregon City, OR
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Oregon City, OR
Replied Feb 7 2023, 07:57

Michael, 

I was in a similar situation and it was definitely overwhelming. I did a lot of networking on here and connected with @Zach Lemaster who helps OOS investors get going. He helped me with my first few deals. 

There's a million things you can analyze and it becomes a big headache. He helped me shorten the learning curve and get me going quicker than by myself.