Skip to content
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes

New out of state investor, looking to build a sizable portfolio

Posted Feb 5 2023, 15:45

Hi there, 

I'm an out of state investor looking to build a sizable portfolio in the Toledo market. I'm hoping to connect with some realtors, as well as certified general contractors, people experienced with fix and flips. I'm looking to form a team on the ground. 

Can anyone point me in the direction of how I can start my own property management company? I'd love any referrals to new and hungry realtors that are looking for a steady paycheck or a side gig!

User Stats

Votes
Jackelyn Lee
  • Property Manager
  • Toledo, OH
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Toledo, OH
Replied Feb 5 2023, 18:39
Quote from @Jonathan Weinberger:

Hi there, 

I'm an out of state investor looking to build a sizable portfolio in the Toledo market. I'm hoping to connect with some realtors, as well as certified general contractors, people experienced with fix and flips. I'm looking to form a team on the ground. 

Can anyone point me in the direction of how I can start my own property management company? I'd love any referrals to new and hungry realtors that are looking for a steady paycheck or a side gig!

Do you currently own anything in Toledo? If not, why Toledo? Are you familiar with the market? Are you looking to build a team to self- manage your own rentals, or start a third party property management company? 

How many deals are you planning to do per month that would give realtors a “steady paycheck?”

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 5 2023, 20:48
Quote from @Jackelyn Lee:

Hi there, 

Do you currently own anything in Toledo? If not, why Toledo? Are you familiar with the market? Are you looking to build a team to self- manage your own rentals, or start a third party property management company? 

How many deals are you planning to do per month that would give realtors a “steady paycheck?”

Hey Jackelyn, 

Thanks for the questions! Yes, very familiar with the affordable housing options surrounding Ohio. We are indeed looking to train someone to manage our own units. We're not interested in being a property management company. 

We're looking to acquire 10-15 units over the next 60 days, and close out the year with 50 units. 

We're looking to pay $3500/mo starting to someone to manage. Preferably a junior / recent college grad getting their start. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Darius Ogloza
  • Investor
  • Marin County California
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Marin County California
Replied Feb 6 2023, 06:31

You would do better if you could pinpoint your intended 60 day targets.  West side? East? South Toledo? North? Old Orchard? Old West End? Suburbs? There are many sub-markets in Toledo - with this kind of volume, you will need someone who knows your particular sub-market well.   

User Stats

Votes
Joe S.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio
Replied Feb 6 2023, 11:01

Hi there, 

Hey Jackelyn, 

Thanks for the questions! Yes, very familiar with the affordable housing options surrounding Ohio. We are indeed looking to train someone to manage our own units. We're not interested in being a property management company. 

We're looking to acquire 10-15 units over the next 60 days, and close out the year with 50 units. 

We're looking to pay $3500/mo starting to someone to manage. Preferably a junior / recent college grad getting their start. 

That’s a lot of units at once. How do you plan on financing them?

User Stats

Votes
Jackelyn Lee
  • Property Manager
  • Toledo, OH
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Toledo, OH
Replied Feb 6 2023, 11:07
Quote from @Joe S.:

Hi there, 

Hey Jackelyn, 

That’s a lot of units at once. How do you plan on financing them?

I was just curious since your only other posts suggest you are new to investing. Which is great! 
Have you been to Toledo? 
3500/month is a lot. You’d essentially be better off paying a property manager that always has those connections and relationships and is familiar with managing in Toledo. If average rent is 1000 a month, and you’re paying a PM 10%, You’d need over 30 houses immediately for it to make sense financially.

It’s an ambitious goal - which I admire. Just be careful scaling too quickly and trying to do it on your own… 

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Drew Sygit#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Feb 6 2023, 16:09

@Jonathan Weinberger to be a PMC, the company will need a RE Broker's license. You should also have E&O insurance.