Skip to content
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes

Self storage facilities in the Upstate NY area for a newbie.

Posted Feb 7 2023, 17:56

Hello all.

I have been following a few threads on self storage units . Have been interested for a while but apparently good deals are hard to find. I am very interested in the value add (If I can find one). The Upstate NY area would be  my focus .

I know Scott is the guru on this topic but I cannot attend his academy.

Any pointers everyone ?

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Feb 8 2023, 05:00
Quote from @Chinyere Ofonagoro:

Do the same thing you would do with any real estate niche: do the hard work and find off-market deals.

Two years ago I decided to try buying a self-storage facility. I got a list of every facility in my area worth considering (there were only about 40 in the County). I called each one, introduced myself, and asked if they would consider selling. Only one said they would consider it in 5-6 months. I called them back four months later and they confirmed they would like to talk. We met, we talked, they shared financials, I made an offer, they accepted, and I have owned it for two years. 

I'm sure it was mostly luck, but I intend to repeat this around the country until I find another one in 2023.

Read "Storing Up Profits" by Paul Moore for all the details of buying/managing.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 8 2023, 06:30

Thanks.

I appreciate your response.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Dylan Speer
  • Investor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Denver, CO
Replied Feb 8 2023, 13:19

Hey Chinyere,

I work at a real estate investment advisory firm that specializes in helping clients invest in passive syndications. Many of the syndications we have on our platform are from sponsors that specialize in value-added self storage deals. They'll acquire a mom-and-pop owned property that is managed inefficiently and they'll invest in some relatively cheap upgrades to bump rents.  

These self storage deals average about 10% annualized cash flow, paid monthly, and average about a 15-25% IRR with about a 2-5 year hold period.

They are only open to accredited investors, but if you're interested in hearing more about these feel free to reach out. 

User Stats

Votes
Jacob St. Martin
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Charlottesville VA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Charlottesville VA
Replied Feb 8 2023, 13:34

Hello Chinyere. I am from upstate new york but do not invest in real estate there. One thing I have thought about since getting into real estate is the shockingly low availability of self storage in many areas of upstate new york. For instance, I grew up in Canajoharie and I cannot think of a self storage facility in a 45 minute radius. In a market like this it may make more sense to build a facility rather than buy an existing one. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 9 2023, 07:10
Quote from @Jacob St. Martin:

Hello Chinyere. I am from upstate new york but do not invest in real estate there. One thing I have thought about since getting into real estate is the shockingly low availability of self storage in many areas of upstate new york. For instance, I grew up in Canajoharie and I cannot think of a self storage facility in a 45 minute radius. In a market like this it may make more sense to build a facility rather than buy an existing one. 

Building up is  always an option but I am more focused on existing and occupied units as a newbie. Just more challenging and costly building up and waiting for occupancy.