be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your insights!"

User Stats

Votes
Ruchit Patel
  • Bay area, CA
Votes |
  • Bay area, CA
Replied Sep 3 2023, 01:35

Everything depends on your current and future goals.

I live in the bay area of California. My initial goal was to have property where I don't have to pay for a mortgage out of pocket due to lay-off risk in my job. So I invested out of state. 

However, if someone is willing to pay mortgage out of pocket, and willing to house hack, good deals can be found here!!

User Stats

Votes
Tristan Romero
  • Roseville
Votes |
  • Roseville
Replied Sep 3 2023, 14:22

Hey Ziyad,

Just like @Ruchit Patel said everything depends on your goals current and future. Make those two clear and then move forward with picking a market that compliments that goal. Sacramento's small/medium multifamily is in my opinion a hybrid market for cash flow and appreciation. With rates being north of 7% it's going to be pretty tricky to find anything that will cash flow. Sacramento and all surrounding areas are continuing to grow rapidly so higher appreciation is not guaranteed but is almost one. I hope this provides some insight for you. Feel free to reach out anytime I would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Scott Scoville
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied Sep 4 2023, 08:49
Quote from @Ziyad Al Salihi:

"I'm eager to start my investment journey but recognize there's much to

learn. I have a question: What are some promising areas for small to

medium multifamily investments in Northern California? Any

recommendations or advice from experienced investors in the region would

Hey Ziyad, my experience is in Sacramento and the surrounding areas. If you're looking for cash flowing multi family properties, you'll probably be looking at the Class C areas of Sacramento, for example, Del Paso Heights, Oak Park, South Sacramento, etc. If you're looking for less management intensive multi families that will be a better hedge against inflation, but may not produce much in the terms of cash flow, look at the Class A & B areas of Sacramento, for example, Midtown, Downtown, East Sac, Med Center, etc. I'd be happy to discuss this further if you have any questions. Best of luck.

Scoville Realty & Investments LLC Logo

User Stats

Votes
Noah Laker
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied Sep 4 2023, 11:05

Hi Ziyad,

I'm a broker and property manager here in Sacramento - Over 100 listings on Airbnb!

Sacramento metro offers a really nice balance between cashflow opportunity and consistent appreciation (due to the fact that it is a State Capitol, two major universities, and one of the fastest growing cities in the country every year for a decade+)

I personally only invest my capital here in Sacramento, although I do business in a number of cities. Sac is my perfect playground. Still cheap enough to pencil out. 

Nobody seems to be talking about WEST SACRAMENTO but my clients and I are focused heavily in this small area because of its close proximity to downtown but also low regulation since it's a small separate municipal government - it's not even in Sacramento county, it's Yolo county. 

West Sac is being developed fast. I'd encourage anyone to buy in West Sac and hang on forever. 

User Stats

Votes
Minie Quilala
  • Banker
Votes |
  • Banker
Replied Mar 9 2024, 15:26
Quote from @Noah Laker:

Hi Ziyad,

I'm a broker and property manager here in Sacramento - Over 100 listings on Airbnb!

Sacramento metro offers a really nice balance between cashflow opportunity and consistent appreciation (due to the fact that it is a State Capitol, two major universities, and one of the fastest growing cities in the country every year for a decade+)

I personally only invest my capital here in Sacramento, although I do business in a number of cities. Sac is my perfect playground. Still cheap enough to pencil out. 

Nobody seems to be talking about WEST SACRAMENTO but my clients and I are focused heavily in this small area because of its close proximity to downtown but also low regulation since it's a small separate municipal government - it's not even in Sacramento county, it's Yolo county. 

West Sac is being developed fast. I'd encourage anyone to buy in West Sac and hang on forever. 

Hi, can you tell me what part of West Sac is a good place to start investing in? Im looking forward to start in REI. I would like to start here in Sacramento before venturing to out of state. Thank you.

User Stats

Votes
Noah Laker
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied Mar 9 2024, 15:44
Quote from @Minie Quilala:
Quote from @Noah Laker:

Hi Ziyad,

Hi, can you tell me what part of West Sac is a good place to start investing in? Im looking forward to start in REI. I would like to start here in Sacramento before venturing to out of state. Thank you.

Hey Minie, there are only a few areas in west sac to avoid. It’s a small municipality and it’s rapidly developing. 

User Stats

Votes
Mike Paolucci
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, Oh
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, Oh
Replied Mar 9 2024, 15:55

@Ziyad Al Salihi @Minie Quilala Good luck on your property searches. 

I started in 2021 while being born and raised in San Francisco and found it really hard to find properties where the numbers and landlord laws actually made sense and I wasn't running a negative with only a hope and prayer that they would become cash flowing properties someday. 

I did the same as @Ruchit Patel and invested in Columbus, Oh where both the numbers and landlord laws made sense. Here's an example of the landlord laws I'm referring to. This is coming on the November Ballot --> "Justice for Renters Act" Can't say, as a native Californian and investor that I'm too excited about this one..

It will all depend on your goals and risk tolerances. If you find that things aren't working out in CA, take a look at some of the Ohio Markets. Happy to share some of my experiences as an OOS and in-state investor. 

Good luck in your REI journeys!

Reafco  Logo

User Stats

Votes
Nick Maugeri
  • Realtor
  • Modesto, CA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Modesto, CA
Replied Mar 9 2024, 18:18

Modesto, Turlock, Lodi - the inventory is so tight that people don't realize how much they will appreciate in the next 5 years. 

• Real Estate Agent CALIFORNIA (CA) (#02109522)

• 209-409-4225

User Stats

Votes
Jake Andronico#4 House Hacking Contributor
  • Realtor
  • Reno, NV
Votes |
Jake Andronico#4 House Hacking Contributor
  • Realtor
  • Reno, NV
Replied Mar 11 2024, 12:16

@Ziyad Al Salihi

Welcome to BP! I'm just over the hill in Reno, NV but grew up in NorCal. 

A lot of small multifamily investors come and invest over the hill because in NV: 

1. Taxes DO NOT reassess on the sale. 

2. Much more landlord friendly than CA. 

3. Stable, diversified job and population growth. 

4. Land constraints make supply difficult. 

5. Still very close to Sac and other parts of Northern California. 

It may not make sense for you, but wanted to throw it out there. Sac is a great market as well!