Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Isaiah Cuellar
Votes |
Questions to ask agents

Isaiah Cuellar
Posted Mar 5 2024, 15:52

Hello everyone, hope this message reaches you well. I was looking for some questions to ask when interviewing agents to work with. I don’t want some part time agent who ignores calls just because it’s a Saturday, I’m trying to streamline future processes by making sure i get the best agent possible starting out, so what are some good questions to ask? Am I even asking the right question? As always, I appreciate the insight.

User Stats

Votes
Daniel McDonald
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Beverly, MA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Beverly, MA
Replied Mar 5 2024, 17:25

Full time vs. part time doesn't scare me as much. In fact, the full time agent may not be willing to work weekends anymore cause they've paid their dues. Honestly, It's finding the person who will work hardest for you and offer mentorship. There's a million agents but the ones that coach you are harder to find. I'd focus mostly on finding one that matches your strategy. So if you're interested in flipping, find someone who really understands that, not someone who sells commercial real estate. 

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied Mar 5 2024, 17:30

Ask them what their favorite animal is.

District Invest Group Logo
BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Ayars
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Virginia
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Virginia
Replied Mar 6 2024, 07:56

I agree with @Daniel McDonald. Find an agent who believes in the value that you bring to the community and desires to partner with you in that venture. Make sure the agent has a desire to learn what they do not know about your side of the industry and is willing to work with you to make a partnership work. This could offer the best of both worlds for both of you.

For example: myself... 

I am looking for a team of flippers to buy and sell in partnership with because I hate seeing derelict houses when there are so many people who need to purchase their own home. I do not have the contracting skills to do the work myself. Nor do I presently have the capital to buy and contract out the work.

Just because I do not answer the phone immediately or get back to you right away does not mean I am not interested (though that may be the case for many others), it just means that I cannot talk right then. I may be involved with something and cannot get back to you for several hours or the next day. I take calls on Saturdays when I can, but try not to do anything Sundays. Everyone needs to set boundaries and have some down time. "A one-man 24/7" expectation is unreasonable and will eventually cause a person a multitude of problems.

I hope this helps.

User Stats

Votes
Matt McCurdy
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Cedar Rapids, IA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Cedar Rapids, IA
Replied Mar 6 2024, 08:09
Quote from @Isaiah Cuellar:

Hello everyone, hope this message reaches you well. I was looking for some questions to ask when interviewing agents to work with. I don’t want some part time agent who ignores calls just because it’s a Saturday, I’m trying to streamline future processes by making sure i get the best agent possible starting out, so what are some good questions to ask? Am I even asking the right question? As always, I appreciate the insight.

Questions I'd be asking myself are:

1) What value can you bring to the table as an agent (with examples)?

2) What is the best cashflowing asset class in the market you are in?  Can you show me some of these properties in said asset class to buy right now?

3) What undervalued neighborhood(s)/street(s) do you forsee as having the biggest appreciation opportunities?

4) How many investors have you helped buy/sell INVESTMENT property?

5) Can I get names/phone numbers of those investors to hear their thoughts?

Here's the reasons I'd ask these above questions:

#1 I like because you will get an open answer that can lead you in many different directions.  I want real life examples of how they are so good in whatever they claim.

#2 You may have your blinders on a certain asset class when a different one is performing better?  They also better be able to back it up with property available now or showing past sales (in the past 6-12 months) and how those would have cashflowed.  I have several examples in several neighborhoods that I can show.  If your realtor says they need a few days to get back to you.  They don't know the market well enough.

#3 Every realtor should know their market so well that there's some diamonds in the rough.  I invest and help others invest in Cedar Rapids, Iowa and know a couple neighborhoods where the tax assessed value is lower than other neighborhoods (same house), but just have a poor stigma/border thriving neighborhoods, so the spill over is and will continue to push into these neighborhoods.

#4 You can take this questions 2 ways.  Some will puff their chest shelling out a high number of investors.  I won't, because I like helping a small handful and don't want to over commit myself. Similar to @Daniel McDonald's statement. I do brokerage activities as a PT job, because my FT job is investing in RE.

#5 The realtor will need to go back to their past clients and ask for permission, so don't be alarmed if you only get 3 contacts of 10.  However, I think this can give you a non-BS answer on some of your questions.  Not to mention, you just grew your investor network!

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Preston Dean
  • Realtor
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Fort Worth, TX
Replied Mar 6 2024, 08:15

As a FT realtor. I can tell you great communication is the biggest thing my investors like about my business. If you call or text an agent and don't receive any communication within  24 hours.. I think you have your answer. Do some research beforehand and google them and see what you find. 

All in all, I would say open and honest communication. 

if you need some references for your area just let me know I have referral partners out that way.   

User Stats

Votes
Isaiah Cuellar
Votes |
Replied Mar 7 2024, 19:16
Quote from @Chris Ayars:

I agree with @Daniel McDonald. Find an agent who believes in the value that you bring to the community and desires to partner with you in that venture. Make sure the agent has a desire to learn what they do not know about your side of the industry and is willing to work with you to make a partnership work. This could offer the best of both worlds for both of you.

For example: myself... 

I am looking for a team of flippers to buy and sell in partnership with because I hate seeing derelict houses when there are so many people who need to purchase their own home. I do not have the contracting skills to do the work myself. Nor do I presently have the capital to buy and contract out the work.

Just because I do not answer the phone immediately or get back to you right away does not mean I am not interested (though that may be the case for many others), it just means that I cannot talk right then. I may be involved with something and cannot get back to you for several hours or the next day. I take calls on Saturdays when I can, but try not to do anything Sundays. Everyone needs to set boundaries and have some down time. "A one-man 24/7" expectation is unreasonable and will eventually cause a person a multitude of problems.

I hope this helps.

This is great insight, thank you

User Stats

Votes
Isaiah Cuellar
Votes |
Replied Mar 7 2024, 19:17
Quote from @Preston Dean:

As a FT realtor. I can tell you great communication is the biggest thing my investors like about my business. If you call or text an agent and don't receive any communication within  24 hours.. I think you have your answer. Do some research beforehand and google them and see what you find. 

All in all, I would say open and honest communication. 

if you need some references for your area just let me know I have referral partners out that way.   

Definitely, that would be much appreciated