Skip to content
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes

Real Estate Categories

Jennifer Haliday
Posted Mar 25 2024, 18:08

Looking for some ideas on where to start. Is anyone familiar with the real estate market in hot cities in Mississippi?  If so, what would be the best category and cities to start in for real estate? 

User Stats

Votes
Susan Maneck
  • Investor
  • Jackson, MS
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Jackson, MS
Replied Mar 25 2024, 19:47

I've always invested in the Jackson area, mostly because that is where I lived and worked and I knew the neighborhoods. I live in California, having moved here during the pandemic to take care of my 91 year old mother, but I still own a fair bit of property there. Most investors seem to prefer the area around Memphis or the Gulf, but like I said, I invest where I know. 

User Stats

Votes
Jennifer Haliday
Replied Mar 25 2024, 20:51

Thank you. That’s a blessing and completely understandable. I reside in Hattiesburg and I recently invested 5K on a Wholesale Program, thinking it would be really hands on and structured more like a mentor program. Are there any mentee programs or anyone looking to mentor that you could refer?  Thanks again. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
John Jones
  • Realtor
  • Memphis, TN
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Memphis, TN
Replied Mar 26 2024, 04:59

@Jennifer Haliday the northern part of MS, specifically Desoto County, is one of the more attractive parts of MS. It’s constantly growing and has good opportunities for flips and rentals. That area also boarders TN, Memphis specifically, so the general area would be worthwhile exploring. 

User Stats

Votes
Alex Evans
  • Memphis, TN
Votes |
  • Memphis, TN
Replied Mar 26 2024, 06:28

@Jennifer Haliday

Jackson is a fun place to visit! I went to Mississippi State and have a ton of friends from Madison, MS, and the surrounding areas of Jackson. I agree with @John Jones completely. With Desoto County and the entire Memphis Metro Market only being about 2-2.5 hours up Highway 55 I think you could have the opportunity to find a lot of success in the market. Happy to discuss or help answer any questions!

User Stats

Votes
Jordan Ray
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Memphis, TN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Memphis, TN
Replied Mar 26 2024, 06:52
Quote from @Jennifer Haliday:

Looking for some ideas on where to start. Is anyone familiar with the real estate market in hot cities in Mississippi?  If so, what would be the best category and cities to start in for real estate? 

The hottest part of Mississippi is in North MS (Desoto County Area) its an expansion and growth of Memphis TN (Just over the border). Alot of Memphis residence are moving into the area because of the better quality of life and opportunity opening up thats new and fresh as compared to plain ole' Memphis. There are new neighborhoods & jobs popping up rapidly in the area and expanding further South into Tate County, MS & Southeast into Marshall County, MS. I currently live in Southaven, MS (10 Minutes from Memphis, TN) and would love to talk more about North Mississippi! Let me know if I can help here in any way! 

eXp Realty Logo

User Stats

Votes
Paige B.
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Ocean Springs, MS
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Ocean Springs, MS
Replied Mar 26 2024, 08:16

Hey Jennifer!!

Mississippi has plenty of opportunity for investing! I work with investors here on the coast focusing on various strategies. There are opportunities for short term rentals, flips, and buy/hold long term investments here in the Ocean Springs, GulfPort, Biloxi areas. Not only is it a beach area, but we also have the Airforce base, so we always have people looking for housing! 

There are also opportunities a bit farther North( Lucedale, Moss Point areas) for lower cost long term rentals, and BRRR deals!

Not sure what strategy your are interested in, or what goals you have(cash flow, equity, etc) but I would love to chat with you about the opportunities here and what you are looking for! There's options here for all budgets and experience levels. 

User Stats

Votes
Susan Maneck
  • Investor
  • Jackson, MS
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Jackson, MS
Replied Mar 26 2024, 08:47
Quote from @Jennifer Haliday:

Thank you. That’s a blessing and completely understandable. I reside in Hattiesburg and I recently invested 5K on a Wholesale Program, thinking it would be really hands on and structured more like a mentor program. Are there any mentee programs or anyone looking to mentor that you could refer?  Thanks again. 

I think Hattiesburg is a great place for buy and hold, thanks to Southern Miss. Be careful with wholesaling. Much of what goes on in the name of wholesaling in Mississippi is illegal. Your best bet might be joining a local real estate club. 

User Stats

Votes
Dean Harris#3 Classifieds Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Memphis, TN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Memphis, TN
Replied Mar 26 2024, 10:43

I own sveral rentals in DeSoto County. (Southaven, Olive Branch and Horn Lake). There are some ins and outs of that area you should know about for sure but you can find deals there and the tenant base is way above average in about 90% of the county. 

Im happy to answer any questions you may have based on my personal expeirences 

• Real Estate Agent TN (#00286759) and Mississippi (#s-40616)

CrestCore Realty Logo

User Stats

Votes
Roger Flot
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Mississippi Gulf Coast
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Mississippi Gulf Coast
Replied Mar 26 2024, 10:58

I am a HUGE fan of the Hattiesburg area, what are your concerns with just investing there?

Hang out in these forums and absorb all you can while realizing you are in an area that a lot of folks don't fully understand.  Listen to the Bigger Pockets Real Estate rookie podcast... you wont understand everything at first, but soon it becomes like your own language.

Meet people in your area... network.. tell them what you are interested in, you will be so surprised that people will show up to help you.
Avoid the gurus who ask for money, PRO membership here gives you access to the webinars and calculators you need to make it make sense for a newbie.  Ask people to connect, and they will... then its easier to just run something by them every once in a while.

User Stats

Votes
Jennifer Haliday
Replied Mar 28 2024, 06:15
Quote from @John Jones:  Thanks a lot! I’ll check it out. 

User Stats

Votes
Jennifer Haliday
Replied Mar 28 2024, 06:20
Quote from @Roger Flot:

I am a HUGE fan of the Hattiesburg area, what are your concerns with just investing there?  Mainly finding housing that I can profit from with an assignment fee. Wanting to start out this way first and then venture off into other investments to yield more profit by using the funds made from the assignment fee. Thank you. 

User Stats

Votes
Susan Maneck
  • Investor
  • Jackson, MS
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Jackson, MS
Replied Mar 29 2024, 11:31

I would think a bed and breakfast in Vicksburg would be great, although Natchez would be even better for that. I've never done a fix and flip myself, I've always stuck with BRRRR because rents were the only thing that can be counted on. Some of my best properties were often from people who tried to do fix and flip and ended up losing their shirt. The profit margin isn't that high, but I see a lot of people seem to be doing this in the area now. The people I know who made money doing other kinds of short term rentals had properties in the areas of Jackson right around the hospitals; the Belhaven and Fondren neighborhoods.

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Jennifer Haliday
Replied Apr 12 2024, 17:12

Thanks a lot to you all!  I’ll do some searching in both areas and I’ll reach out with questions later. What form of contact do you prefer (email or phone)?  

User Stats

Votes
Jennifer Haliday
Replied Apr 12 2024, 17:17

Thanks, Dean Harris. Starting out, I am interested in finding good wholesale investments and obtaining a finder fee from there. I’ll scout the area and reach out to you if I have questions.

Jennifer H.