Columbus, OH. Young entrepreneur looking to start investing

9 Replies

First off, Hello everyone!

I feel fortunate to have stumbled upon this site and have already learned a ton just by reading posts and peoples input, really some great content! Thank you all for sharing.

I am a 22 year old entrepreneur who is looking to get into the industry soon and am looking for any guidance or pointers anyone has to offer. Im good with people, good with numbers, not afraid to take calculated risks, and have a fairly strong background in all kinds of renovation work. I grew up on a farm and helped my mom basically live in flip 2 houses. I have pretty solid connections for funding, but obviously need to have everything concrete before approaching those sources. 

Looking for a little wisdom here, what would be the best first actual step to make? Obviously been reading like crazy trying to absorb as much as possible!

Any advice or mentorship would be superbly appreciated!!!

Cheers,

Kyle Wetherill

@Kyle Wetherill  Welcome to BP!!

I said to another BP member who was also 22 that you are doing yourself a great favor by starting at such a young age. You have a great advantage of power of compounding earnings on your side.

You seem to have all the right connections and good background to get started in RE. What are you looking to do? Flips or rentals?

Hey thank you!!

It's great to see this sort of community where everyone seems so helpful! I am definitely glad to hear I have an advantage, certainly a good sign!

Ideally for now I'm thinking flipping and then eventually renters also. I guess every individual has to find their niche but I feel right now I'm most familiar with flipping.

Thanks a bunch!

That's great!!

So have you started looking at any properties? It's sounds like you are not a complete newbie in real estate, which is always great to have some experience.

I would start with connecting with some local investors here on BP and see what's working for them.

@Kyle Wetherill   

Hey man, welcome to Bigger Pockets. I am just getting started in real estate as well. I have found some great resources here in Columbus in case your interested. COREE (Central Ohio Real Estate Entrepreneurs) holds a meeting once a month with sub-groups that also meet once a month. I also just got back from the bigger pockets meetup for Columbus last night. That was awesome and I am looking forward to the next one. Here is the link for the one last night. 

Hope this helps,

David

@David Rupp  

Thank you so much for the info, I will definitely plan on attending. Its great to hear that that this kind of group already exists, I'm looking foreword to meeting people involved in the Columbus market and picking their brains a bit. I'm definitely very interested to learn as much as I can from anyone willing to give any advice. 

Hope to see you at the next meeting!

Cheers,

Kyle

Originally posted by @Kyle Wetherill :

First off, Hello everyone!

I feel fortunate to have stumbled upon this site and have already learned a ton just by reading posts and peoples input, really some great content! Thank you all for sharing.

I am a 22 year old entrepreneur who is looking to get into the industry soon and am looking for any guidance or pointers anyone has to offer. Im good with people, good with numbers, not afraid to take calculated risks, and have a fairly strong background in all kinds of renovation work. I grew up on a farm and helped my mom basically live in flip 2 houses. I have pretty solid connections for funding, but obviously need to have everything concrete before approaching those sources. 

Looking for a little wisdom here, what would be the best first actual step to make? Obviously been reading like crazy trying to absorb as much as possible!

Any advice or mentorship would be superbly appreciated!!!

Cheers,

Kyle Wetherill

Welcome Kyle.

I also started investing in RE when I was 22.

4 years later and after being involved in hundreds of transaction the best tip I could give is to ask questions of people who are where you want to be.

Most should be happy to offer assistance and point you in the right direction.

If you do this a couple times per day just imagine how much you will know in a years time.

Also, don't give up if you loose $$$ and make mistakes. I found that the 2nd best way I learnt the most was on the mistakes I made. The $$$ lost was my RE college hahaha

Thanks for reading and have a great day.

@Engelo Rumora  Thank you for the advice and kind words. It's very refreshing to hear from someone who has essentially done what I plan on doing and from the sounds of things quite successfully. I love to hear that you are doing so well! I enjoyed your comment about making mistakes becoming college. That seems pretty spot on lol.

When you started, were you full time in RE or working another FT job as well?

Thanks again for any advice!

Cheers,

Kyle

Originally posted by @Kyle Wetherill :

@Engelo Rumora Thank you for the advice and kind words. It's very refreshing to hear from someone who has essentially done what I plan on doing and from the sounds of things quite successfully. I love to hear that you are doing so well! I enjoyed your comment about making mistakes becoming college. That seems pretty spot on lol.

When you started, were you full time in RE or working another FT job as well?

Thanks again for any advice!

Cheers,

Kyle

Hi Kyle,

No problem at all.

I worked as a laborer for 4 years and saved up enough to buy my first house and it all started from there. I had a bad car accident so i couldn't laborer and found ways to make a living from RE.

No matter how small it is just do something every day that is RE related and you will always be ahead of the game.

There are so many people out their that just look at me weirdly as soon as I start talking about RE lol They don't have a clue about what I am saying lol

Thanks and have a great day.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.