Need to find a mentor or partner....

5 Replies

I'm looking to get involved in REI (residential properties specifically). I don't qualify for an FHA loan at this point because I have below average credit- and I only have a part time job. I'm currently saving money- and figure in a few months I'll have enough to help make a down payment on a property.

I know that I need a partner, a mentor, and a bit of luck to acquire my first deal. But I don't know how to go about everything. I read tons of books on RE- and I know what I want to do. I have the drive and determination to succeed- and can contribute a good amount of "sweat equity".

My question is where can I find someone, in the NY area, that has experience, that's willing to mentor or partner up with me?

It would probably be a good idea to narrow down your focus. If you're planning on buying and holding, maybe a landlord investor. Or, if you're planning to learn how to build up cash maybe a wholesaler in the area. From there, you can target exactly what kind of mentor you're looking for.

If you're just starting out, you may want to connect with @Ali Boone . She's done quite a number of write-ups on the BP blog for beginner investors and has a fresh perspective in this area.

Hope that helps!

@Daniel Amis You can try searching for the nearest real estate investing association (REIA) group on meetup.com. See when the next meeting is and go network. That should get you in the vicinity of like-minded people.

Also one thing to keep in mind is if you want to find a partner/mentor, you need to first figure out how you can add value to their business. “You will get all you want in life, if you help enough other people get what they want.” – Zig Ziglar.

Good luck!

@Drew Oquendo ,

To make the @ work, do the following:

Hold down the shift key and type @?

Look below this Window, and you will see a list of names of people that have posted in this thread.

Click on the name of the person that you want notified via an email, that you responded to them.

If you are a Colleague with anyone that has NOT posted in the thread, and you want them to see your post, hold down the shift key, type the @ and the first 4 letters of their First or Last Name.

Then look below this Window and click on that person's name.

Raymond

@Raymond B.  Thanks, I was on the computer at my day job when I wrote the previous post. Those computers are old and slow; that feature won't register....sorry

Thank you both for your suggestions- and time. I'll do as suggested.

- Daniel

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here