How to invest with no money

8 Replies

Hi everyone! My name is Jacob and I am new to the site. I got sucked into this world of real estate about a year ago. I dont own anything yet but very interested in it. And of course because of the money. But also it would be better than a 9-5 job. I am going to school for business this fall and hopefully learn more about real estate and how it works. But since I found out this website I might as well learn now! So anyway my question. I wanted to get into the rental properties. I would like to get apartments and homes. But with no money like that, its gonna be impossible to get my hands on one. So how do I get a apartment with no funds? I was told by someone I met to get with a private investor. Now how would that work? Would the investor buy the apartment/house then I make the improvements then rent it out? Again I am new to this and here to learn and make some connections. Thank you so much!

Try and borrow the money from family members to get started.

Joe Gore

If you're sure that you're going to go into real estate - why spend the money on business school? 

Yes, most who are interested in real estate never buy their first property, so you might end up not really going into real estate, even if you have every intention now. 

Why not read everything you can and jump into finding a deal NOW and maybe wholesale something before school starts? And then you might not want to go to business school, because street learning will teach you much more than you can ever learn in school. 

Just my opinion

Welcome. One way you can get rental properties is to have the current property owner keep the financing that they currently have on the property in place and take over payments.  Look  at Ben Leybovitch blog for ideas.  Also go up to the learn tab at the top the page for an abundance of information.  As well as the bigger pockets podcast if aren't to it already.  Good luck in your investing! 

You sound like my dad haha. But I always wanted to get a degree. But like you said if I do find something now then school will wait. Thanks for your input !

Originally posted by @Richard K.:

Welcome. One way you can get rental properties is to have the current property owner keep the financing that they currently have on the property in place and take over payments.  Look  at Ben Leybovitch blog for ideas.  Also go up to the learn tab at the top the page for an abundance of information.  As well as the bigger pockets podcast if aren't to it already.  Good luck in your investing! 

Thanks!

Originally posted by @Ben Leybovich:

UC business school?

UC Blue Ash. Im going to do general studies first semester then transfer to business.

Originally posted by @Jacob Beemer:

You sound like my dad haha. But I always wanted to get a degree. But like you said if I do find something now then school will wait. Thanks for your input !

Maybe ask yourself why you always wanted to get a degree. Usually a degree is just a tool to get something else. And if you realize what that 'something else' is, then you might be able to find a different way to get that. 

For example - let's say (I'm just making things up) you feel that some people look down on those without a degree in something and thus you feel insecure about it and want to get a degree to elevate your self-worth in your mind. Then it's really not about the degree, but how you feel about yourself. And being really good at something can give you that feeling. Meaning, that you could start a business without a degree and if you're successful that feeling of inadequacy due to not having a degree might fall by the wayside. 

That was just one example.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you