Newbie from London, UK

3 Replies

Hi - 

I am a newbie in real estate investing. I have two properties in Greater London, UK by accident and keen to do more.

Most of the podcasts and forums here talk about 1% or 2% rule. That doesn't seem to work by any stretch of imagination here in the UK, specifically for Greater London. For example, 2 bed house costs £300,000 and rents for £1,200 per month. Is there a different rule of thumb seasoned investors use for Greater London, UK ... OR ... Am I missing something?

Thank you,

Greater London Newbie

Ultimately you want to find a market that makes sense and has a solid economy.   The price you mentioned above reminds me of where I grew up in Southern California.   Wholesaling may be a better objective for you to do.   Or even commercial real estate.   If you don't mind me asking what would be the price of a 4 unit apartment complex in your area?   what would it rent for?

Hi Gerald - Thanks for your reply. I don't know the price of 4 unit complex. I am thinking more like buying a single flat/apartment or house. In the area I am looking it would cost £150,000 to £200,000 and would rent for £800 to £1,000 per month. Would you invest with these kind of numbers? Most investors in London make their money through capital appreciation. However, I am not comfortable depending on just that.

Hi Harsha,

In London you want to think about annual rental yields. A net yeild in London would be about range from 2.75% to 3.75% (note this is net not gross). There is a nice little example how to calculate yields near the bottom of this blog: buy to let guide. Prices have gone up a lot recently and rentals have been slower to catch up so yields have dropped a bit. So with your £300,000 example your gross yield would be 4.8%. The net yield would depend on all your costs but would be in the range above.

Hope this helps.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Get the Ultimate Beginner's Guide