Fort Hood an Military Outpost Investing

9 Replies

Just curious if anyone has found any success beginning their real estate endeavors around military installations such as Fort Hood?

Welcome to Biggerpockets!

Be sure to check out the podcasts and blogs. The search key  feature in the forum is also awesome.

My husband is active duty military, Navy  Pilot. We started our real estate  endeavors  around military installations. We own in virginia beach, charleston , hanford and lemoore. We started by buying personal properties and renting them out when we leave. As we got richer we started buying pure investments. We self manage te houses.

What are you looking at doing? I started a blog/website about our strategy and plan. Feel free to pm me if I can help. 

Different investment styles have different pros and cons.  If you are looking to fix and flip homes around bases, you have young families looking to purchase starter homes, which can be a great source of buyers.  If you want to buy and hold rentals just be sure that your properties are not going to directly compete with on base housing.  Talk with someone who knows the military staffing cycles unique to that particular base as well, like a local PM. 

Thank you for the welcome Elizabeth, I am interested in viewing your strategy to incorporate it into my plans. Richard, I am planning to begin in a fairly new market area with an appreciating neighborhood about 10 minutes from Fort Hood. I plan to use the buy and hold strategy and purchase multi-family until I have enough extra money saved up to exclusively purchase single-family. I would also like to see if owner financing would be possible for the single-family houses in the area.

Chas, i was stationed in ft old from 06-13 and i know plenty of people who have started from there! look into the 4 plexs in a decent area. the normally make 500-700 depending on where and how nice. make sure you do ur research and find a really good property management company. that is the biggest thing to find down there! 

Sound Advice Jeremy, I was slightly hesitant of the area at first but after looking into the market a little deeper I found that there are above average areas with superb performing properties present. 

yes there really is and with ft hood not going away anytime soon if you can find a really good deal on a multi unit i think you will be able to make really good money! just fallow the advice on here form the other guys where you put X% away every month for this reason or that reason and you will be fine. Also make sure if you rent to military you get all the info for the unit and what not. you know army guys always trying to get over on someone else... haha. 

Originally posted by @Jeremy Davis:

yes there really is and with ft hood not going away anytime soon if you can find a really good deal on a multi unit i think you will be able to make really good money! just fallow the advice on here form the other guys where you put X% away every month for this reason or that reason and you will be fine. Also make sure if you rent to military you get all the info for the unit and what not. you know army guys always trying to get over on someone else... haha.

Yeah, I know how that goes, hopefully I can also find some like minded people in the local area to shorten my learning curve. 

@Chas Phillips

We started off with single family because the numbers and areas worked best for us. Good luck! If you are stationed down there be sure to think about using your VA loan for the property. Also check and see if your area qualifies for the USDA loan. That is for first time home buyers. It has a funding fee and pmi but allows you to save your VA loan. We split the va loan and were able to use it for two houses.

Originally posted by @Elizabeth C.:

@Chas Phillips

We started off with single family because the numbers and areas worked best for us. Good luck! If you are stationed down there be sure to think about using your VA loan for the property. Also check and see if your area qualifies for the USDA loan. That is for first time home buyers. It has a funding fee and pmi but allows you to save your VA loan. We split the va loan and were able to use it for two houses.

I guess I never considered the USDA loans, I wanted to save the VA Loan and this could possibly work out for the better. Thanks for the insight Elizabeth!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you