Becoming An Assistant Of Sorts

7 Replies

Recently I made a move to Denver for a job that promised more than they could pay. They broke a couple labor laws, and I left them. I'm now in a position where I need a job quite badly. But this time I would like to do something I'm passionate about. 

I would really love to become and assistant of sorts to a real estate agent. For instance finding leads, checking on properties and/or maintaining them, as well as any scheduling to be done or phone calls to be made or taken.

Is there a position like this out there? Where would I find one? Would it be a bad idea to find local agents and e-mail them with this proposal?

Have you considered trying to get a job at a property management company?

I have not. What would that entail? 

I currently four rental properties with 3 different managers (different cities.)  At my single family home I have basically an "amateur" manager, mainly she runs it all on her own out of her house.  She finds tenants, shows them the property, runs background check, provides and signs the lease with them, takes the maintenance calls, schedules maintenance, pays the bills out of rent, and provides the end-of-month statement to me along with the check.

Two of my buildings are managed by a larger management company (IMMapartments.com).  They do the same, except they have an office building they work from and are more professional, i.e. their statements are very detailed, they have specific marketing people, specific accounting people, etc

My last property has a management company that is in between those two other ones.  Basically you could look for a job at a bigger management company doing work like showing apartments, meeting tenants, scoping out maintenance, etc. Or work for a smaller company and do all of it.

Or start your own, but that isn't a quick paycheck if you need a job right now.

Thank you, that was very helpful. That sounds like something I would love. Of course there are pros and cons to going about it working by myself or working for a company, so I'll have to think about that a little. But if you don't mind me asking, how much does the "amateur" lady make compared to the people within a bigger company? 

Yikes, that's awful about making the move for a job that wasn't as advertised.

You do need a real estate license to manage properties for other people in Colorado (managing your own properties without a license is OK).

A larger management company would probably have some positions that required being licensed and some that did not. 

Have you looked on Craigslist? There is a section under "jobs" for real estate related jobs. A lot of that is management related

Medium team zen logo vJean Bolger, 33 Zen Lane | http://www.solidrealestateadvice.com

We pay the same percentage to the large company and the single lady.  6% of gross rent. It is harder (at least in our market) to find a larger company who will manage single family homes. It just doesn't pay enough for the amount of work.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you