Votes
William Perry
  • Tallahassee, FL
Votes |
Saving for a Down Payment

William Perry
  • Tallahassee, FL
Posted Oct 29 2014, 19:49

I'm interested in seeing if anybody has any suggestions on where I could look to put my money for the next 3+ years. I'm in grad school (piano performance) with one more year left. After grad school, I'm planning on taking a few years playing piano on cruise ships (main goal is to save a little more money for a couple of years). 

Over the last 2 years of playing, teaching, and being a student I've managed to save $10,052.00 which is sitting in a GE Online Savings account generating .95% interest. Before I had this amount (and before I knew I would take those extra years on a cruise ship) I tried calling around to Vanguard and USAA to see if they had any plans that would generate more interest than .95% (with moderste safety) but with the short time frame they had no suggestions for me. I'm wondering if anybody out there has any good suggestions for me. Should I try to get higher interest or should I just keep my money where it is?

I'll end by saying my first real estate goal is to buy a multi-family and live in one unit to start myself off. 

Thanks!

Loading replies...