Who would you check with for neighborhood-level crime advice?

2 Replies

Hi, I plan on targeting lower ends neighborhoods, and one of my main priorities is getting a house in a good working-class area without high crime. As this can change from block to block, I need good street-level Intel. Here's my plan:

1. Walk the neighborhood myself at different times of day. Talk to people in the area to hear their thoughts

2. Meet up with other local investors and see what they have to say, assuming they work the same area.

3. I'm also thinking of calling the police to see if they can offer some feedback on my target location and surroundings areas.

Unfortunately spotcrime.com and crimereports.com does not have data in my target area.

Is there anything else I can do to assess an area for crime?

Thanks

Here's a gem from the Section 8 bible:

Go to the police station that patrols the street you want to purchase on. Go in and ask for a log of all the 911 calls within the past year that were reported on that particular street you want to make your purchase on. They have to and will give you a print ... out of them. If the report doesn't look too bad, make the deal.

Check for sex offenders.  Although you can't control when they move in you can control if you move into a "hot zone".  I almost put an offer in on a flip and when I did a sex offender search the street had 6 living within a couple doors of the property.  I passed.  Also, some cities have websites that provide the crime data without using the sites you mentioned. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.