Should we both be licensed ?

9 Replies

How are you guys  out there Good morning. my girlfriend and i are in the beginning stages. Do you guys suggest that we both be licensed real estate agents ? Or just one of us? What's more beneficial?

what schools do you suggest or does anyone works ?

If you can, I suggest attending a class, you'll get much, much more out of it than an online course!

Husband and wife teams generally do better than new agents starting out. They attend to the both aspects of a family clients, male/female thing. Such teams usually work well, if you can do it. My mom and dad were both Realtors, oh what fun we had!

However, my feeling is a bit different with boyfriend-girlfriend partners in the realm of dealing with other married couples, the relation isn't there as much and it can be seen more as two agents teaming up on a client. Just keep that in mind, perception counts.

But overall, I'd say both having a license will be a plus and you don't always have to work together. :)

thanks bill that's what I was thinking about as far as class vs online ...I'll keep yall posted 

I'd actually suggest just one of you needs to be licensed. You will still have MLS access and ways to submit offers properly but just half the cost of obtaining & maintaining the license and the continuing ed requirements. Licensees have a lot more disclosure requirements when buying, selling and leasing as well. Be nice I would think to be able to act as both or neither!

can you elaborate more on disclosure ? 

I live in the real world, both of you get licensed. Three years from now you can both be ex-lovers, so both having a license is a better separation issue. I used to sell homes to unmarried couples often and usually ended up watching two enemies trying to win a war somewhere down the road. Worse then a divorce fight usually except usually no child support issues and no divorce attorney racking up as many fees as they can. 

Yes I was sort of a playboy when I was very young and understand non-commitment, and then I met "the one", no way would I believe someone really cares fully unless they are willing to go all the way to I do and mean it, why aren't you married yet? She really isn't the one,  just asking to get a feel of your future together and how you should do business together, suggest using legal entities on investments you hold jointly. My personal experience with such couples is 80% within 5 years were completely estranged, so you should plan accordingly with that as a possibility.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.