Opportunities in my market

3 Replies

I am getting close to making the move on my first property (duplex) I was planning on waiting until June for personal reasons but have the ability to do so now. A broker I had been interviewing told me she has 20 duplexes which they are releasing 5 at a time as to not flood the market, all are 100% occupied with leases. I told her I was very interested in seeing the ones in the better parts of town.

Here is where I am at. I have fallen victim to analysis paralysis. The duplexes she will have available will likely sell for around 50-60K this is common in the community. With rents per unit of $500-$525 on average per month per unit (2 bedroom), so assume a 50K mortgage with 20% down and 30 year term. Property taxes are right around $1200 on average. I have not yet decided if I will go the property management rout, this community is about a  45 minute drive one way from my house so I may.

When I run the numbers it seems to make sense.  Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks,

Jeff

How much work do the duplexes need?  Deferred maintenance is always one of the major issues you will have when buying a property.  Spending $10-20K of your savings to fix up a rundown property can turn a good deal into a nightmare very quickly.   

I told her I would not look at any with Deferred maintenance, which it sounds like many will be in great shape.

Any insight on this one?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.