Just Getting Started

5 Replies

Hello,

I am just getting started and thinking about getting my first property and using FHA and living in the house and converting the SFH into Individual Units so a 4 floor house would be a 4 unit . I live and work in DC Currently Doing IT work for a non profit. Currently I am looking at Baltimore and Richmond Near MARC and VRE so I can get Commuters and Also Commute my self. I didn't know if anyone else has Done this or has any advice on what to do or maybe this might not be such a great idea.

Thanks for your time and input,

Patrick

Hey Patrick,

Welcome to the site and congrats on taking the first steps. 

I'd be happy to get on the horn and talk shop any time. 

I would also be interested in hearing feedback on VRE commuters out of Richmond. To my knowledge, the train line starts in Fredericksburg but Fburg is (generally) a more expensive market than Richmond due to the proximity to NOVA so if folks have tips for managing the commute to the 'Burg and riding VRE north from there, I'd love to hear them too.

Welcome to the site @Patrick Fernandes My wife and I did convert a SFH into a duplex but it was mostly set up for it already, and we do not live in DC. I just heard horror stories from a guy in my church who's son lives in DC and he tried to build a deck. The permitting process and the Exact building code for a deck was rediculous. I cannot imagine converting a house into 4 units. Code and permits would be crazy.

No personal experiance.  Just my hunch. 

This post has been removed.

Thanks Joshua, I didn't think of that ill have to look into the codes in both Richmond and Baltimore so i dont get into trouble. 

Thanks  Jon, For some reason i thought VRE went all the way down to Richmond but it seems to be just Amtrak.

Thank you for the neighborhood information Marni anything seems to be Cheaper than DC anything under 500k seems cheap. 

@Patrick Fernandes  I think they announced they were going to a few years ago but it doesn't seem to be active any more or never got off the ground. Just a connector via Amtrak to Fredericksburg. I wish they would because the drive up I-95 once you hit Spotsylvania has become a bit of a bear. Hopefully the new HOV extension helps alleviate some of that.

Good luck with the new adventure! 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.