How should I start my real estate career before I can invest in real estate?

8 Replies

As some of you may know, I just turned 16 so it's not actually legal to buy real estate right now aha.  So I'm wondering, should I be reading books or finding a mentor?  What do you think is the best thing I could do right now in my situation, because I want to get right into the game when I turn 18.

Thanks

Concentrate on school! RE can be a hobby for a few years.

A job in the summer with a contractor will teach you construction methods, a huge plus.

To learn RE, get a text book for real estate agents they use to take their test to become an agent! That teaches real estate. If you were going to sell cars, do you think it might be good to know the different types of vehicles, how they basically work, what maintenance they require and how to exchange titles? Learn real estate, not how to deal with it, that comes later. You have plenty of time.

There are other jobs related to real estate you might pick up, Realtors hire assistants, title companies hire delivery and office help, contractors need laborers, so anything related can give you experience. After you learn real estate it doesn't take hardly any time to begin finding deals and understanding what you'll be doing, there is no time crunch there. Stay away from gurus!  Good luck :) 

Just to add a few to Bill's great list... look to see if you can help Home Inspectors, Appraisers, or Property Management companies as well. Depending on where you want to go with your career, these are all extremely valuable tools... spotting problems up front (not to mention saving yourself $300 - $500 routinely)... understanding ARV... or knowing EVERYTHING a landlord goes through from collecting rents, to repairs, to CAPEX, to finances, and beyond.

If you're looking to make money, maybe birddogging for a flipper or wholesaler would work as well.

do exactly what @Bill Gulley  said 

read read and ask questions

you are in a great place 

good luck to you

Thanks, at your age you'll need to approach RE activities as an employee, a summer job type thing, how you get paid is up to the employer, but you can't strike off binding contracts in real estate, just get a paycheck. Suggesting you not try to stick your neck out too far. Do well in school, it counts for more than you might imagine! :)

Yes, do study. I purchased my first house on my 18th birthday. It's never too early to start!

Read!  Read about as many aspects of real estate as possible.  Then you will know a little about everything in the industry and be able to decide what you want to do.  

Get a job somewhere in the industry and save that money to use in your future investments.  You are 16 and should have relatively low expenses.  

Connect here on BP, Duh

757-581-1488
Originally posted by @Bill Gulley :

Concentrate on school! RE can be a hobby for a few years.

A job in the summer with a contractor will teach you construction methods, a huge plus.

To learn RE, get a text book for real estate agents they use to take their test to become an agent! That teaches real estate. If you were going to sell cars, do you think it might be good to know the different types of vehicles, how they basically work, what maintenance they require and how to exchange titles? Learn real estate, not how to deal with it, that comes later. You have plenty of time.

There are other jobs related to real estate you might pick up, Realtors hire assistants, title companies hire delivery and office help, contractors need laborers, so anything related can give you experience. After you learn real estate it doesn't take hardly any time to begin finding deals and understanding what you'll be doing, there is no time crunch there. Stay away from gurus!  Good luck :) 

This is some great advice.  

Doing well in school will give you a lot more options when you are starting your real estate career.  Math fundamentals are very important in real estate financing and evaluating deals.  Reading, writing and communication are all very important and developed in most subjects in school.

I agree that working for a contractor would be a great summer job even if you don't touch a hammer in your real estate career.  You will almost definitely deal with hiring contractors, so learning first hand how that works is great.  

A job as an assistant to a realtor or title company also can give you insight into an important aspect of the real estate business.  

Even if you don't think you will be an agent, the course for being one should have a lot of the fundamentals of real estate.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.