Skip to content
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Angela Fielder
  • Investor
  • Elkridge, MD
Votes |
What do I do if I've seen the property, know the history, and have access to it?

Angela Fielder
  • Investor
  • Elkridge, MD
Posted Mar 2 2015, 19:01

I am new, and perhaps I worded the question wrong - tired eyes let me tell ya.  There is a property that I've been watching for 3 months.  One day while taking my kid to school I decided to inquire about it. There was an older lady walking her dog, I figured she might know something, so I boldly asked how long had the house been vacant and why does it have postings on it.  She'd mentioned that it was a divorced couple who left the property to their 21 year old who just couldn't afford it.  The 21 year old did something - if I recall - she turned the heat completely off during the winter to cut back on having to pay a heating bill (or gas and electric bill) .  This is what the lady told me.  She further mentioned that the fire department or police (I can't remember which) came out and told the  year old that she had to either keep the heat on or vacate the house.  The  21 year old vacated the house and it's been sitting empty for a year.  I walked up to the property and saw a few bank notices on it. So I called the bank. A rep from the bank tells me that the divorced couple still owns the property and that in order to get more information I should go to the local court house.  I've already worked up some numbers on it, and I know it needs extensive work, but I want to do this deal.  I have a dumb question  - am I supposed to advertise the property in order to find a few prospective buyers? Am I being too presumptuous to think that a divorced couple with a vacant property might want to sell?  Sorry if I was too wordy, I'm just trying to figure out what I'm doing.

Thanks.

Loading replies...