Buying rental property

1 Reply

My name is Marcus. I am new to this site. I was recommended by someone who own 14 rental houses in my city. I am only 27 but have a decent amount saved. I am thinking about getting into buying a house on auction and renting it out, maybe section 8 or to students in the area.

Any advice for someone starting out? Can it be done with about 10-13K?

Marcus,

It depends on where you are buying your properties. In my area, I could pay 20% down, get a conventional mortgage, and make some improvements to a property that cashflows $300/mo for $10k  My story doing just that.

Why are you buying the property? Cashflow each month, or hoping that it will appraise and you sell it later?

If it's cashflow, you can run the numbers and decide if it's going to work for you or not with each property. You'll have to do a little bit of research, but if you can fill in the numbers you can get an estimate of cashflow by using:

Gross Rent - PITI - repairs = cashflow

Depending on your way of thinking, you can decide if it meets your criteria of a good investment. Do you follow the 50% rulethe 2% rule, or do you just want a property that cashflows $X/mo?

As for other tips, I'd suggest listening to the podcast

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you