Teenage Entrepreneur

4 Replies

Hello , 

My name is Myles Brown. I'm a seventeen year old entrepreneur. I have worked with the development of three different rehab projects and dozens of regular purchasing deals. I want to ask the BiggerPockets community what advice would you give someone buying their first property. Feel free to leave any book recommendations as well ( I tend to read a book a week). I am looking forward to becoming a part of the bigger pockets community. 

Good for you @Myles Brown ! Great to see young people starting out so early. 

While I'm new to BP and real estate investing, I can't offer any buying advice just yet. But as far as books, I can suggest what probably everyone else will suggest. Read (for 1st time home buyers):

Nolo's Essential Guide to Buying Your First Home by Ilona Bray J.D.

Home Buying Kit For Dummies by Eric Tyson 

The other two books on this subject I have are specifically for women so I don't know if you'll find them useful.

If you're talking about your first investment property, then hands down get:

The Book on Investing In Real Estate with No (and Low) Money Down: Real Life Strategies for Investing in Real Estate Using Other People's Money by @Brandon Turner , Joshua Dorkin

The Book on Estimating Rehab Costs: The Investor's Guide to Defining Your Renovation Plan, Building Your Budget, and Knowing Exactly How Much It All Costs by J. Scott

Best of luck to you!! Starting out this early and with the track record you already have, no doubt you'll do just fine.

Myles, you are in inspiration and remind me of how I was at your age to some extent.  You should be very proud of your work and your vision for the future at such a young age.  You will be successful in whatever you choose.  I too read a lot of books, and I'll mention a few titles here that have been helpful to me over the years.  As for advice buying your first property, whether you intend to live in it or rent it out, view it as if you would be living there.  What would you or your prospective renters like about the property, i.e. safe neighborhood, close to amenities/shopping, good school districts, etcetera.  Zillow is a great website for gaining information about this, as well as City-Data.com.  Books I like:  Rich Dad Poor Dad, Rich Dad's Guide to Investing, Rich Dad's Who Took My Money, Rich Dad's Cashflow Quadrant, Building Your Wealth One House At A Time, Rich Dad's Start Your Own Corporation, The Real Book of Real Estate, Harder Working Money, The Accidental Landlord.  Those should keep you busy for a few weeks and provide a wealth of info.  

Im also a young Entrepreneur, Im 18 years old and ive been reading books that elevate the mind to be stronger and making it work for me not against me. i just started RE investing by wholesaling but i see its hard but i choose to stick with it because the my life will be easy! Hard work pays off i beleive in myself even though theres those down days i keep faith in me for my life to go 0 to 100. 

Great books that helped me:

"Think and grow rich"

"The Millionaire Mindset"

"Flip" by Nick ruiz, its a long title but i just put flip but this is a greattt book to read for Real estate trust me! it gets you going! 

"Rich dad poor dad"

"Manny Khoshbin's Contrarian PlayBook"

Thank you all for these recomendations. I hope to keep my progress updated here on BP.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.