SoCal Salesperson License Fees and Dues

4 Replies

I'm trying to figure out what my dues would be on a monthly / yearly basis to maintain my license and purchase access to the MLS.

I tried doing a search online and I couldn't find any true numbers.  I must add, the CAR's website wasn't that resourceful. 

Thanks in advance 

Why not check with the source. Call the MLS you want access to and find out. Are you a broker or a salesperson? Sales person, then you first job is to find a broker you can hang your license with.

The MLS can give you the names of the Non-association broker members so there would be no CAR and NAR dues and this is allowed by California law. Since you only want MLS access this is the cheapest way to go and still have an active license.

Originally posted by @Brian P. :

Why not check with the source. Call the MLS you want access to and find out. Are you a broker or a salesperson? Sales person, then you first job is to find a broker you can hang your license with.

The MLS can give you the names of the Non-association broker members so there would be no CAR and NAR dues and this is allowed by California law. Since you only want MLS access this is the cheapest way to go and still have an active license.

Brian,

I'm intending to become a salesperson. 

I checked locally, state and national dues are about $500, and MLS access is 160 quarterly.

Are you saying I don't need to be apart of any associations to access the MLS and buy properties?

Thanks in advance

David

Yes you can do that as long as your broker has the same status. This was put into law in California by a court decision in Marin County.

Now if your going to be active and take the opportunity to list properties you find that are not good investments at the price offered you can go to plan B and list them and pay your overhead. Also you will find buyers maybe checking out one of your properties and you can sell them something else listed or not and pocket some extra cash. 

Before I became a broker and just had my sales license the first broker I was with was an investor and was really ok with my investing because he understood that brought more business to the office. When I moved to the next county the broker wanted the office cut on all my deals period, listed or not, so I started doing all my investing in my wife's name and got him ticked off but I soon had my brokers license and started my own company. if your going to be active as an agent I would suggest joining the association. If you just do a couple of deals a year on your agent status you will cover your agent overhead, and if your an active prospecting investor you should be able to do that easy.

Through my local Realtor association, I pay around 1k a year. That includes MLS as well as many other services.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here