I Just put in my first 3 offers out of state. I have a down payment question.

12 Replies

Hello everyone.

So this is whats happening, I have been looking into investing in AZ and I just put in three offers on three different properties, all 4plex and will the loan I got a will be making an income monthly from them...

Im a little bit worried because I don't want to be house poor if any of  my offers are accepted.

My questions to you is, how can I get my down payment with out using my own money on top of the mortgage I'm already approved for? 

I was thinking of taking a 2nd loan just for the down payment, but the banks don't want to do that for me.. Any ideas? I would like to buy all 3 of the properties if I can find a good way to get more for my down payment..  any thoughts? I know there is a way to do this and I will find it! 

Also, any thoughts on AZ and the rental markets?

THANK YOU!!!! 

Paul Samia

Have you tried a heloc on your personal residence? Do you have a 401K you can borrow from? 

@Paul Samia 

If you do decide to borrow from a 401k plan, the following IRS website explains the rules.

http://www.irs.gov/Retirement-Plans/Retirement-Pla...

Paul, make sure you do not over leverage yourself. You also need to have personal reserves for each property in case of vacancies and maintenance. And with 12-units, you will have maintenance. If you are using conventional financing, there is no way to get around putting less than 25% down. You would want to look at some creative financing. Can the seller carry back a 2nd? 

I don't mean to sound arrogant, but why didn't you figure out the down payment before you submitted offers? 

Originally posted by @Aristotle Kumpis

I don't mean to sound arrogant, but why didn't you figure out the down payment before you submitted offers? 

Hahah! Of corse I have the down payment in the bank, my question was how do I use the banks or a lenders money for the down payment so I don't have to use my money otherwise I'll be broke but ill own a plex.

Originally posted by @Rob Beland :

Have you tried a heloc on your personal residence? Do you have a 401K you can borrow from? 

No, I don't have a 401k :( I know I had one in 2003 with a company that is not closed. Do you know how I can find out if I still have, it and what's it's worth today? 

Originally posted by @Paul Samia:
Originally posted by @Rob Beland:

No, I don't have a 401k :( I know I had one in 2003 with a company that is not closed. Do you know how I can find out if I still have, it and what's it's worth today? 

Now closed* sorry

Try looking up a FHA Rehab loan if they(the properties)/you qualify, I thnk 201k-

Consultant K vs. Streamline K loans.

Originally posted by @Paul Samia :
Originally posted by @Aristotle Kumpis: 

Hahah! Of corse I have the down payment in the bank, my question was how do I use the banks or a lenders money for the down payment so I don't have to use my money otherwise I'll be broke but ill own a plex.

Well, you are using 75% of the banks   money. The only way I know to end up with little down, is to find a private party that is willing to take out a 2nd when you close on the 1st. But you have to have equity of course. And then your cash flow would be pretty much $0. Take your pick: Either pay upfront now and get cash flow. Or try to leverage up to 100% and get no cash flow. 

Were the offers in writing?

Did you place the offers through a realtor?

Did the realtor ask for proof of funds?

Are you actually planning on only closing on on property?

Do you have financing?

I wish you well, but IMHO you need to acquire more knowledge about real estate before trying to acquiring real estate.

Originally posted by @Bob B. :

Were the offers in writing?

Did you place the offers through a realtor?

Did the realtor ask for proof of funds?

Are you actually planning on only closing on on property?

Do you have financing?

I wish you well, but IMHO you need to acquire more knowledge about real estate before trying to acquiring real estate.

Yea they were in writing.

Yes I placed them through a realtor

I don't understand this question but I'm planing on closing 1 of the 3 

Yes I'm approved for $500k 

I know a lot about real estate, I'm a real estate agent :) I have been studying inventing for a few years now and I'm ready to start buying.. I'm just trying to find more "out of the box" approach. 

But if I want to, I can pull $53k for a down payment from my accounts but I don't want to use my money.. I will have to find another lender just for the down. 

On any of the 3 deals I will be making a $1,475/mo cash flow that's after everything property tax,  mortgage, insurance, and property management seeing how I live out in ca and the properties or in AZ. so I was thinking what's another $175/mo for the $53k I need down... All the numbers still add up. And I will still come out in the positive cash flow. 

What do you think? 

Originally posted by @Aristotle Kumpis :
Originally posted by @Paul Samia:
Originally posted by @Aristotle Kumpis: 

Well, you are using 75% of the banks   money. The only way I know to end up with little down, is to find a private party that is willing to take out a 2nd when you close on the 1st. But you have to have equity of course. And then your cash flow would be pretty much $0. Take your pick: Either pay upfront now and get cash flow. Or try to leverage up to 100% and get no cash flow. 

See my reply to bob below. 

@Paul Samia   If I remember correctly .... isn't there  a book written on this problem by @Brandon Turner ... maybe he can help. :)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here