Comps, properties, and agents

7 Replies

Since Texas us a non-disclosure state, I can't find comps in areas that are very accurate. Because of this, I read that I would have to talk with a agent to get the comps and to find properties (from the MLS). (If this is true) Can/will most agents get you your info almost on the fly so you can make a quick decision about trying to get a property, or would it be better to get my license so I have personal access to the MLS?

Most agents will provide you the comps. Depending on the location, you may want to ask them to go from major street to major street rather then let's say a quarter mile radius. For example here in Austin comps can be different block to block in some areas.

I don't have my realtor license, but I do have a realtor assistant access to MLS . You should be able to find a broker/investor that can give you this.

John

Have you taken a look at redfin? They show the sold prices.  Make sure you use the web site and look for the filter part of it to just show the sale data.

Welcome to BP Aaron.  I am happy to assist you in the Austin and surrounding area.  I have a lot of BP clients.

@Dan Burstain

Do you have any Realtor colleagues here in Houston that specialize in working with investors like yourself?

Getting a real estate license to have access to comps is a little bit of overkill. You'll have to find a sponsoring broker, and few will be interested in sponsoring you if you're not going to be an active salesperson. You'll also have to join your local realtor association (I hear DFW is pretty expensive to join) and MLS.

You're much better off to hook up with a realtor who will work with you. I work with investors all the time who are looking for properties here in the Houston area. I'm sure you can find someone like that in DFW. Just make sure that when you're ready to buy, you use that realtor as your buyer's agent.

@Aaron Trudgett

You do not need to be an agent. You can get comps off of Redfin (although the site seems to be down right now so I cannot double check dfw). However I chose to become an agent to have more control over my transactions. I can show myself houses and submit as many offers as I want. I also get the unfiltered comments from the other agent. I find it to be worth the price but only because I do transactions over the MLS. If you are just looking for comps, there are better ways.

I use Redfin for all of my CMA's In the DFW area.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.