Portfolio and conventional loans

3 Replies

Is the down payment of a portfolio loan typically 20% like a conventional loan? Or lower?

I'm having an issue coming up with 20% Downpayment for a conventional, I can't do a FHA because I already have a primary residence and I would not be able to occupy the residence,want to stay away from hard money loans for now because of the interest rate and time frame of the loan. For example, I can afford 10-12% down on a 72,000 mortgage loan, any suggestions? Would I be able to get a portfolio loan at 10-12% ?

Originally posted by @John Garza :

Is the down payment of a portfolio loan typically 20% like a conventional loan? Or lower?

I'm having an issue coming up with 20% Downpayment for a conventional, I can't do a FHA because I already have a primary residence and I would not be able to occupy the residence,want to stay away from hard money loans for now because of the interest rate and time frame of the loan. For example, I can afford 10-12% down on a 72,000 mortgage loan, any suggestions? Would I be able to get a portfolio loan at 10-12% ?

In my experience (I haven't been investing for long, so take it for what it's worth), portfolio lenders are 25% and up, usually 30%.

Originally posted by @Jerry Poon :
Originally posted by @John Garza:

In my experience (I haven't been investing for long, so take it for what it's worth), portfolio lenders are 25% and up, usually 30%.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.