Portfolio and conventional loans

3 Replies

Is the down payment of a portfolio loan typically 20% like a conventional loan? Or lower?

I'm having an issue coming up with 20% Downpayment for a conventional, I can't do a FHA because I already have a primary residence and I would not be able to occupy the residence,want to stay away from hard money loans for now because of the interest rate and time frame of the loan. For example, I can afford 10-12% down on a 72,000 mortgage loan, any suggestions? Would I be able to get a portfolio loan at 10-12% ?

Originally posted by @John Garza :

Is the down payment of a portfolio loan typically 20% like a conventional loan? Or lower?

I'm having an issue coming up with 20% Downpayment for a conventional, I can't do a FHA because I already have a primary residence and I would not be able to occupy the residence,want to stay away from hard money loans for now because of the interest rate and time frame of the loan. For example, I can afford 10-12% down on a 72,000 mortgage loan, any suggestions? Would I be able to get a portfolio loan at 10-12% ?

In my experience (I haven't been investing for long, so take it for what it's worth), portfolio lenders are 25% and up, usually 30%.

Originally posted by @Jerry Poon :
Originally posted by @John Garza:

In my experience (I haven't been investing for long, so take it for what it's worth), portfolio lenders are 25% and up, usually 30%.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here