Skip to content
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Victoria Stone
  • Costa Mesa, CA
Votes |
Read newbie guide and am still confused about financing for first investment purchases -- no income requirement?

Victoria Stone
  • Costa Mesa, CA
Posted May 31 2015, 14:59

Hi all, 

I read the Ultimate Beginner's Guide and although it lists many possible sources of loans, it does not say (or perhaps I overlooked where it says) what kind of qualifications you need to obtain such loans.  I am assuming loans for investment real estate are similar to mortgages for buying primary residences; that is, there's a relatively fixed formula based on your salary income, credit, etc. 

Or are investment loans not based on your income at all?  This is from the perspective of someone just starting out with no real estate portfolio to speak of.  How do you obtain financing?  What do lenders go on -- the numbers of the property, your "resume" as a businessperson generally, etc? 

Is it much like securing capital to start a business? 

Any specific details about starting with no experience but with some cash (say, a few hundred thousand) would be GREATLY appreciated!  And if I've missed this information somewhere else, please provide the links.  Sorry if this question has already been answered!

Loading replies...