17 year old Real Estate- Help please :)

3 Replies

Hi,

My name is Natalie and I am 17 years old. I am very passionate about real estate and just started my real estate licensing courses! I turn 18 at the end of August and would like to get my RE license soon after that. I would also like to get into Real estate investing in the future when I have more money to flip houses. For me, I wanted to work with the best and I want to sell luxury houses so a couple of months ago I emailed a top broker who sells multi-million dollar homes in Newport Beach telling him I would like to work for him and he offered me an intern position which I'm truly grateful for. I work as an intern at Berkshire Hathaway for the McMonigle Team in Newport Beach and will be an agent there when I get my license. I know how important branding is so I created an Instagram called "SouthernCaliforniaLuxury" where I post all of the luxury cars, houses, restaurants, etc. of Southern California because I would like to be able to brand myself as a luxury agent. I am going to create a website, Facebook, and Twitter as well. My questions are: What do you suggest the top ways of getting listings as a new agent are other than your sphere of influence? Also, do you think it's hard to break into selling luxury listings as a new agent? Do you think this kind of branding that I am doing is good? Any suggestions on how I can make my branding better?

Thank you :)

Find a mentor in the company that you work with. Make sure they are where you want to go in your career. Follow them, meet their contacts. Attend realtor meetings, investor meetings. Immerse yourself in your area. Know your market better than anyone. Everyday do something to put yourself out there in your area, Volunteer at  local events become a part of Chamber of Commerce. You will soon be known as some to go to for all information in regards to local market. You can do anything you put your mind to. Listen to yourself if this is what you want to do you got it. Being young is your advantage. Go after the younger consumer. Good Luck.

You are well ahead of the curve but you also need to be realistic about successful people giving a huge multi million dollar asset to an 18 year old with no experience to sell. You were wise to intern with a top broker and I suggest getting on a team with that broker for a few years if possible and another top broker for a few years after that. During that time you can network and build credibility within that community to the point where at age 25 or so with some experience under your belt you will be able to convince sellers of that caliber to trust you to get top dollar for their home. Working for one or more top brokers will allow you to learn how successful brokers in your area operate and make a living in an industry you love. During that extended internship, Go where the money is. Volunteer at the big non profits and their events, work and/or play at the country clubs or yacht clubs. Build a reputation with these people you are talented, competent and that you follow through. If they can see that the battle against your youth and relative inexperience will be easier.

Kudos to you!

I wish there were more like you and my hats off to you.

@Laurie Johnson and @Joe Bertolino are both right.

The only thing I would add, is study Grant Cardon's stuff, like the 10X rule, and ""Sell or be Sold".

Good luck Kiddo, and well done!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.