Raising Long Term Capital for Real Estate

2 Replies

I'm fairly new to the real estate game. I currently have 3 duplexes and I live in one of the units, so 5 rented units. 2 of the 3 duplexes were paid for with cash, so there is no mortgage.

I'm looking at investing in other property but running low on capital. I'm not interested in taking a home equity on the existing property or even a new mortgage on new property for the simple reason that I'd like to allow the business to grow on its own. I'm in this for the long haul, I buy and rent properties. I don't flip as the risk is simply too high.

The two duplexes without a mortgage are owned by my business, so they sit on the balance sheet as assets. There is no debt in the business. What are my options in terms of raising capital to purchase additional properties?

I'm looking for total capital of $100,000 with a term of 10 years. I would rather not issue stock but bonds could be an option for me. Well in my rookie mind they are. I would have no idea where to start with bonds.

Are there options that I'm missing or just not paying attention to? To be clear, I'm not looking for offers from investors. I'm simply trying to understand how to package the investment and if there's a marketplace that I could take it to.

Thanks!

This post has been removed.

The reason most people take out mortgages on their property is so that they can get that leverage.  It is a tried and true path that banks are comfortable with.

If you really don't want to get financing on the properties, you could consider getting a cash partner.  They might give you some cash in return for an equity position in the company.  This would fall under the more creative side of things.

You could just decide to only leverage your properties to about 50% if you wanted to stay on the really safe side - meaning that if you needed to, you could always sell quickly.

Good luck!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here