Interest Only to Fixed p&i

1 Reply

I've learned recently about longer term Interest Only loans, and ones that convert later to P&I payments, and may have an idea how to use them - I know, balloon payment bad, fixed rate good, but beyond that knee jerk reaction, please hear me out:

My question is this: would it make sense to initially use a 15 year interest only loan to keep my monthly payments low, maximize cash flow, then refi in year 12 or so? Or, to use a loan which transfers later to P&I payments (having already calculated numbers for this reality, so no surprise).

I realize I would lose the Principal pay down, although it would seem minor for the first 5 years anyway, and perhaps a 3% appreciation would help offset this loss. Additionally, I buy and fix to rent, so this adds equity, which I could use later to my benefit of refinancing in year 12 of a 15 year IO loan.

It would seem that this would provide maximum cash flow early when it is most needed for re-investing, repairs, etc., then a refi long before the balloon due gets me out of hot water later, or the P&I payment schedule is accounted for in the numbers up front, and I just accept lower cash flow later on.

Looking forward to your thoughts!

I don't like interest only loans. A traditional loan is ammortized so the interest is paid up front, with principal paid at the end. Let's say your payment is $100 a month. Your first payment is $97 interest and $3 principal. The next month is $96 interest and $4 principal. You could pay up the principal payment of $4 in the first month, and save yourself the $96 in interest. If you pay up earlier in the loan, you save so much interest over the life of the loan. 

Yes you are cashflowing more on a lower loan, but you aren't paying any part of the principal. If the property is going to appreciate 3%, it will do that no matter what type of loan you have.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.