SFH or Multi...that is the question!

6 Replies

Hello All! I am a new RE investor, though I have a background in property management. I have been in the industry for 8+ years and have managed upwards of 900+ units at a time. I have been a spectator who has fallen into the trap of "analysis by paralysis" but am at a place where I am finally willing to take action! Based on my background, I was curious to see if it made sense to start out my personal investment portfolio with a multi family asset or SFH? I'd love to hear your suggestions and experiences. I'm leaning more towards multi family although there doesn't appear to be such a large market in the DMV (DC, MD, VA) area for smaller assets (2-6 units).

Thank you in advance for any feedback!

@Travis L. Congrats on taking the first step! I think the MFH is a better option for you, especially since you have prior management knowledge and experience. Would you rather get 4 different loans, appraisal, inspections, etc. for 4 SFH homes, or do that once for a 4 unit property? Good luck and keep us posted on what direction you go!

Hi Travis,

I recommend MFH. It's best to have multiple tenants to cover and mitigate your expenses. There's also a better re-sale value in MFHs than in SFHs. 

Best,

Barry

Keep in mind Muti is always harder to liquidate should you ever need to. Other than that if you've got the $$$ multi is my preference. 

Originally posted by @Josh Mitchell :

@Travis L. Congrats on taking the first step! I think the MFH is a better option for you, especially since you have prior management knowledge and experience. Would you rather get 4 different loans, appraisal, inspections, etc. for 4 SFH homes, or do that once for a 4 unit property? Good luck and keep us posted on what direction you go!

 Thanks Josh!  I definitely agree with your logic and am leaning more towards MFH.  I will definitely keep you posted.

Originally posted by @Barry Herbst :

Hi Travis,

I recommend MFH. It's best to have multiple tenants to cover and mitigate your expenses. There's also a better re-sale value in MFHs than in SFHs. 

Best,

Barry

 Very good points Barry!

Originally posted by @Ryan Dossey :

Keep in mind Muti is always harder to liquidate should you ever need to. Other than that if you've got the $$$ multi is my preference. 

 I'm definitely thinking it'll lribably be multi.  Great articles by the way on your site.  I love the Groccery Store Model!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

  • Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here