SFH or Multi...that is the question!

6 Replies

Hello All! I am a new RE investor, though I have a background in property management. I have been in the industry for 8+ years and have managed upwards of 900+ units at a time. I have been a spectator who has fallen into the trap of "analysis by paralysis" but am at a place where I am finally willing to take action! Based on my background, I was curious to see if it made sense to start out my personal investment portfolio with a multi family asset or SFH? I'd love to hear your suggestions and experiences. I'm leaning more towards multi family although there doesn't appear to be such a large market in the DMV (DC, MD, VA) area for smaller assets (2-6 units).

Thank you in advance for any feedback!

@Travis L. Congrats on taking the first step! I think the MFH is a better option for you, especially since you have prior management knowledge and experience. Would you rather get 4 different loans, appraisal, inspections, etc. for 4 SFH homes, or do that once for a 4 unit property? Good luck and keep us posted on what direction you go!

Hi Travis,

I recommend MFH. It's best to have multiple tenants to cover and mitigate your expenses. There's also a better re-sale value in MFHs than in SFHs. 

Best,

Barry

Keep in mind Muti is always harder to liquidate should you ever need to. Other than that if you've got the $$$ multi is my preference. 

Ryan Dossey, Real Estate Agent in IN (#RB15001099)
Originally posted by @Josh Mitchell :

@Travis L. Congrats on taking the first step! I think the MFH is a better option for you, especially since you have prior management knowledge and experience. Would you rather get 4 different loans, appraisal, inspections, etc. for 4 SFH homes, or do that once for a 4 unit property? Good luck and keep us posted on what direction you go!

Thanks Josh!  I definitely agree with your logic and am leaning more towards MFH.  I will definitely keep you posted.

Originally posted by @Barry Herbst :

Hi Travis,

I recommend MFH. It's best to have multiple tenants to cover and mitigate your expenses. There's also a better re-sale value in MFHs than in SFHs. 

Best,

Barry

Very good points Barry!

Originally posted by @Ryan Dossey :

Keep in mind Muti is always harder to liquidate should you ever need to. Other than that if you've got the $$$ multi is my preference. 

I'm definitely thinking it'll lribably be multi.  Great articles by the way on your site.  I love the Groccery Store Model!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.