Modular Duplex - House Hack

4 Replies

I am just starting out, trying to acquire my first property. I have decided to go with the house hacking strategy. Last weekend while at a 4th of July party, I was bouncing my ideas off a few friends that had made some big money of real estate before the market crash, but no longer participate. He told me that I should look into modular duplexes. I did not even know these were in existence. I started researching them and they do not appear to be a bad idea for my market. I am not in the best market, so I will be relocating to about 25 minutes away to start my investing. I have estimated my annual ROI on this property to be around 7.5% - 8.5%. My thoughts are to accept a slightly lower ROI than desired in return for less headache, because I would own a new property that would not need any upfits for years to come. If this is successful, I would then repeat this process, owning 4 units, 2 of which will be new and 2 that are nearly new. Is this a solid strategy?

Hey Taylor,

Welcome aboard. Real estate  had been gaining alot of momentum recently and that's because historically it is a solid investment vehicle. 

I love the house hack for several reasons. The first and biggest is that's how I started. Bought an owner financed property 4 years ago , had rent from roommates and payed it off in half the scheduled time. Sold it for 3 times what I payed and owed no capital gains because it was my primary for 2 years.  Enjoyed homestead exemption.  Kept my goals right in front of me. I woke up every morning with no separation of my goals and my true life.

I now have 2 separate rentals and 1 with a partner. In a year I will have 2 more and this is with very little income and no traditional financing.  It can be done.

Good luck.

Thanks @David Sugg

What are your thoughts on a modular duplex?  Do you have any suggestions/thoughts on this approach.  I should be able to make the numbers work.

If the numbers work and you have an exit strategy that works then I would go for it.

@Taylor Fender

Did you go for it?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here