First investment property

3 Replies

Hello all, I am active duty military and currently reside in Japan. I currently have a town home I am renting out, which I obtained using my VA loan. I now desire to purchase an investment property to make a rental for additional income. My question comes to financing. I estimate to spend approximately 50k all together, but I am concerned with how to fund the purchase. I would love to have instant equity and a positive cash flow by purchasing a home at auction. However, with a current mortgage and the desired home being an investment property I don't know where to go for financing. I have 15k cash, but would rather save the money and finance the property. Any easy to understand financing options would be greatly appreciated.

@Timothy Colman

Hi Timothy,

Here's what I understand from your post :

You want to buy a property and rehab it for 50K all together. You have 15K but trying not to touch it. 

Here's a classic way to buy a home (no money down).

Let's say the home sells for 30K, there is 20K worth of rehabs and ARV is 80K.

Find a private lender (family, friends, colleagues, etc). Get a private loan for 50K (30+20).

BUY the home all-cash, REHAB it then RENT IT. After this, it should be worth 80K. Go to  a bank and get a traditional loan for 80% of its value through REFINANCING, which is 64K (80% x 80K). Get the 64K, payback the 50K + interest to your lender, keep the difference and then you have a cashflowing property with 16K equity in it that you bought with no money down. How fantastic is that?

I invite you to read this article regarding BRRR (Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance)

http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2015/04/20...

Best regards,

Kevin

It sounds downright incredible Kevin!  I won't barrage you with questions until I have read the article you have provided, but can I do the same process with my own personal funds; i.e. Buy (my cash), Rehab, Rent, Refinance?  I would like to cut out the private lender if possible.

Also, I will have to research this refinancing when there is no mortgage.  I have refinanced in the past on a home that I lived in and had a mortgage on, but not when I own a home outright.  I honestly did not know that was possible.  Maybe my interpretation of refinancing is flawed...

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.