College Student-Where should I begin?

2 Replies

I am currently a Master's student in the Raleigh area and I have one more year of school left. I don't have much equity due to tuition costs, but would like to start real estate investing as soon as possible. The Raleigh market is really taking off, and don't want to miss the flight.

Where would be the best place to start? What approach would be most fiscally feasible for a graduate straight out of college? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hi @Mike Simon

Welcome to BP!

In response to your Question: Where should you start?

• Saving
  • Learning & Networking
  1. 1. BP Podcasts
  2. 2. Webinars
  3. 3. Network - Look up active local investors and take them out for lunch. Network Network and Network 
  • Identify your farming area - i.e. focus on where you want to invest and most importantly why you want to Invest
  • Create a mind map of your Vision, Strategy to achieve your vision, identify tactical steps that will help you get there 
  • Meet with local real estate agents and see what properties are on the market 
  • Study on valuation aspects of real estate i.e. what is a good deal and why?

In regards to what approach would be most fiscally feasible..?

There is no one size fits all..but you can explore the following options

1. House Hacking 

2. Lease Purchase 

3. Subject to 

4. Buy a MF cash flowing property using FHA

5..Be creative

Other Tips for new BP members

Here are some new Member Tips

Tip # 1: How to Use @Mentions on BiggerPockets

Tip # 2: Setting up Keyword Alerts

Tip # 3: 25 Tips for Real Estate Success

Tip # 4: Check out the Start Here page

Tip # 5: Check out BiggerPockets Ultimate Beginner's Guide

Tip # 6: Listen to BiggerPockets PodCastDon't know which one to listen first..listen to BiggerPockets Podcast 108: Building a 350 million Real Estate empire using the 10X rule with Grant Cardone

Tip #7: Votes

Tip #8: Meet BiggerPockets Members

Tip#9: BP Webinars

Good Luck!

Originally posted by @Mike Simon :

I am currently a Master's student in the Raleigh area and I have one more year of school left. I don't have much equity due to tuition costs, but would like to start real estate investing as soon as possible. The Raleigh market is really taking off, and don't want to miss the flight.

Where would be the best place to start? What approach would be most fiscally feasible for a graduate straight out of college? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hello Mike. I was in a similar situation. I worked on weekend and summer to save down payment for a property while attending school full time during regular semesters. I was conflicted whether to pay my student debt using down payment fund, but I have decided to leverage what I have to increase my portfolio. Are you borrowing student loan right now?

if you don't have any fund for down payment, I would advice you to wait until you graduate and get a job to save first. Once you have down that, start look into properties in Southwestern Raleigh. These houses are close enough to NCSU, so it has potential of being a great rental property. You can househack it. For primary residence, you are looking at between 12-18k entry cost including closing cost and initial down payment. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here